Where to find a master cylinder rebuild kit.

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
eneriksen

Where to find a master cylinder rebuild kit.

Post by eneriksen »

I have found several links in previous posts however they either do not work anymore or do not have parts for my rig.

I have a 1990 Safari Serengeti, 38ft diesel, which seems to be built on a GM chassis by Oshkosh Motors.

Does anyone know of a company that actually knows something about these beasts? A1-Cardone says that they no longer do master cylinders.
demingboy

Re: Where to find a master cylinder rebuild kit.

Post by demingboy »

Hi there. Oskosh was not a chevy frame .Oskosh was only Oskosh. I have the same year. Freightliner may be your best bet for parts. Odly enough I have found parts at napa. Google is you best friend.
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

One trick I've used when I run into research dead ends is to do a search using as much vehicle information as I can, and when the results page pops up, click on the "Images" button. Then I start looking for a part that looks like the one I'm trying to replace. Sometimes the photo links to a page that has the information I need. At other time I may get similar parts that may look like mine but are different in some way that prevents them from working pm my application.

As suggested you can take the part into a NAPA, truck or RV repair shop and see if they can find a match. You may also be able to take the bad internal parts in and see of they can match them. Sometimes they can check dimensions with calipers and find replacements based off that.

Good luck.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
eneriksen

Post by eneriksen »

Okay, so after weeks of phone calls and internet searches, a RV dealer had a magic number, 1-800-385-4357 for Freightliner help and they have a help desk for Oshkosh. They were able to get him some part numbers, however, my dealer also pointed me to a Napa down the street in Lewisville and several "old timers" who know about trucks. I went there with my original master and five minutes later he had ordered a master to match up to mine. Two hours later it had arrived and is a perfect match to mine, except the it does also have the reservoir. Remove the reservoir, install my remote reservoir top, and all done. Perfect match. Brand spanking new Napa part M8553, $238. They also have rebuilds.