Replacement part for Kwikee steps

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
geantbrun

Replacement part for Kwikee steps

Post by geantbrun »

Hello everyone,
the motor of my steps has died, and I would like to proceed with its replacement. I believe this motor is a Kwikee brand (based on other posts on this forum). Can anyone tell me what I can replace this motor with? I found a Maureen brand motor on Amazon that seems suitable, but I'm not sure. Could someone please confirm it for me? Thank you very much.

Patrick
Safari Sahara 1996
keegan8

Re: Replacement part for Kwikee steps

Post by keegan8 »

I used this on a 95 Sahara:

MQparts 676061 RV Stair Entry Step Motor Compatible with Kwikee Step Motor and Lippert Motor Components, Replace 676061 214-1001 1101428 379147 366043 369506, Includes 3 Screws .

Look at the number on the old unit..

This involves remove old unit, remove the steel gear and washers and putting in on the shaft of the new unit. Grease it, good to go.. Not sure how long it lasts, but putting weight on the step before it stops, will strip the plastic gear inside the unit. I did it with the steps down which allows getting the gears to line up as you install the unit with 3 machine screws. Sounds and moves better than what was there.

Can also get the plastic gear on Amazon, take it apart, replace, but for $15 more get it a new one.
95 sahara, 5.9, Allison 6 sp, 35'
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

Thanks keegan8 for your answer. Do you also have a replacement part for the gear/linkage?

Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
keegan8

Post by keegan8 »

RV 25 Series 676061 Motor 379147 Double, Triple and Quad Entry Step Gear Repair kit
95 sahara, 5.9, Allison 6 sp, 35'
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

I was talking about the gear/linkage part, something like this.

Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

Does someone with Kwikee steps Series 27 have replacement parts for gearbox AND motor? I have found this but they say that it is "RV Gear Box Linkage Fit For Step Series 22, 23, 28A, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 and 40" (27 is not included in the list).

Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Kwikee step repair
 lotos
Mar 22   #15415  

Several years ago my kwikee steps jammed out just before we were to leave on a trip. Doing a web search I found this is a common problem that most have fixed with a new Taurus motor, which I did. I didn't think it fit great but I did get us on the road. Worked fine for a while, until it didn't. Fortunately I still had the original motor and found a blog posting by Chris Bryant. Here is the address, but at this time the link is broken, but credit where credit is due:

http://rx4rv.com/kwikee-repair-part-2/ broken blog

If your Kwikee steps simply get jammed, and you are getting power to them (you can hear the box click when you open or close the door, and the under step light is going on and off), quite often it is just these small plastic parts that are bad- not the whole motor. The symptoms of failure for these parts are that the step will get stuck in the extended or retracted position, yet the step is still getting power

Dorman 74410 Window regulator gear plugs, available at most parts stores or Amazon for less than $10.00.

Basically take the motor apart, replace these parts, put it back together. As the plugs become obround in use they create a bind.
Hope this helps someone.

TomS
1997 Safari Sahara 3550
300 CAT

----------
Kwikee Step
Kwikee repair, part 2

October 25, 2010 by Chris · 45 Comments
Filed under: Service Issues 

In my last post about Kwikee steps,I told about a repair kit for Kwikee step motors, that has since been discontinued. But… all is not lost- a quick trip to the local auto parts store let me fix a set of steps for a fraction of the cost of replacing the motor.

In fact, the parts cost a bit under $9, and saved having to buy an over $100 (if you buy a Kwikee brand motor), or around $60 (if you buy one from an auto parts store).

Let’s take a look at how to replace them…

Read more

From Chris Bryant RV
If your Kwikee steps simply get jammed, and you are getting power to them (you can hear the box click when you open or close the door, and the under step light is going on and off), quite often it is just these small plastic parts that are bad- not the whole motor. The symptoms of failure for these parts are that the step will get stuck in the extended or retracted position, yet the step is still getting power.
Dorman 74410 Window regulator gear plugs
http://rx4rv.com/ broken blog

(was: Fuse Box Labels (was: 1996 sahara 36' safari)
Posted by: stuplich@gmail.com mel96safari
Date: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 pm ((PDT))

Paul

Either of these Ford window lift motors are an exact replacement for the motor in my Kwikee electric step:

ACI p/n 83094...(new)

Cardone p/n 42-309...(rebuilt)

When my step motor failed, in 2010, (when my step motor failed), I chose the new ACI p/n 83094 motor...($41.99 at nearby Advance Auto Parts store).

BTW, except for that 12V motor, everything about my "2 step Kwikee electric step" Is original.

Mel
'96 Sahara, 148k miles
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
AlaskaFrank

Post by AlaskaFrank »

Might have the motor part number in the table on this page link below.

I Almost did a motor replacement this spring but it turned out the wires to the magnetic switch got fragile. Replaced switch and voila! Good luck.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper- ... gKaJfD_BwE
- AlaskaFrank
1998 Safari Class C with Chevy Vortec 7.4L, original owner