Renogy 200W solar "suitcase" conflict with 100W roof panel?

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
chuckster

Renogy 200W solar "suitcase" conflict with 100W roof panel?

Post by chuckster »

I bought a 200W Renogy solar suitcase with the panels on a kickstand and wondering if I can just connect them to the four Interstate GC2 6v house batteries right to the battery posts (correctly, in 12v fashion). The coach has a Xantrex Freedom Combi inverter and there is a single 100W panel on the roof that I believe is original equipment. I am not sure if the roof solar panel is maintaining the chassis batteries or the house batteries.

My concern is do I have to worry about the 2 different solar charging sources (roof/suitcase) being hooked up at the same time and using the inverter while they are hooked up?
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
CactusTwo

Re: Renogy 200W solar "suitcase" conflict with 100W roof panel?

Post by CactusTwo »

Yes, you can just hook them up to the batteries using the correct charging parameters as your batteries, lead acid, AGM, Gel or Lithium as you have. However whichever charging system is attached to the batteries that is the least efficient that one will shut off when IT thinks it has charged to the best of its programming and say FULL but the other charging systems will continue until they think they have charged to their best. I say this because an inverter charger unit while plugged in will say FULL and solar continues could keep going.
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2013
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
chuckster

Re: Renogy 200W solar "suitcase" conflict with 100W roof panel?

Post by chuckster »

Makes sense, Len.

Anyone know how the solar panel on the roof that came with the coach hooks up to the coach. I may disconnect it for now and completely remove it if I decide to go solar on top.
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad