Top lights

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Little Stinky

Top lights

Post by Little Stinky »

Anyone have the part number for the (5) front top lights on my 2000 Safari Continental Panther?
John & Martha Rowin
2000 Safari Continental Panther 40’
05wingrider

Re: Top lights

Post by 05wingrider »

Little Stinky,
On most of our rigs the top clearance lights are standard 2x4 lights, also referred to as side marker lights, and are readily available most anywhere.

As a courtesy to others, please sign your post so that we know whom to respond to for future questions - you can go into your profile and put a signature in there that will post any time you message. It makes it easier to search for a subject or a sender that way.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Little Stinky wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm Anyone have the part number for the (5) front top lights on my 2000 Safari Continental Panther?
Stinky
These lights are an exact replacement for the upper clearance and side marker lights on my '96 Sahara.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights ... 7-814.html
(etrailer.com has them in both red and amber).

BTW the search function is still working on the old Safarifriends Yahoo group... (that's where/how I found that clearance light link).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Thanks Mel. Changing out those lights to LED (and new fixtures) is about all I am able to do. Even then I must sneak up the ladder when the wife is gone.
John & Martha Rowin
2000 Safari Continental Panther 40’
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

05wingrider wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 am Little Stinky,
On most of our rigs the top clearance lights are standard 2x4 lights, also referred to as side marker lights, and are readily available most anywhere.
As a courtesy to others, please sign your post so that we know whom to respond to for future questions - you can go into your profile and put a signature in there that will post any time you message. It makes it easier to search for a subject or a sender that way.
Duane
Because there are so many different styles/types of "standard 2x4 lights" ..anyone who orders/buys "standard 2x4 lights" may, (or may not), get "exact replacement" lights.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I changed the clearance and marker lights to LED, twice. Water got into the first set and destroyed several of the LEDs in each light. I could not find any on-line that were totally sealed on ebay and the vendors won't commit. what I did was to spray the second set of LED boards with silicon spray. That seems to work but hasn't been tested driving into heavy rain.

Truckers get the correct ones but where I don't know. The ones at truck stops are expensive, and the hose sizes didn't match where I checked. If I can find some sealed units worth buying but with different hole spacing I will drill new holes and seal the old holes.

The mounting screws should go thru the lens and base with the lense sealed to the base, if not then there has to be a O ring base to lense but this leaves the problem of the screws thru the base. Moisture can get in. Mine had a pry off lense and no rubber ring. This allows even high humidity to enter and condensate, sealing the base didn't work, I tried all that. The water reduces the resistance which over drives the LED and burns it out.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

I replaced all mine front and rear with ones from NAPA. I think its been aboit 3yrs and driving through some heavy rains with no problems yet.
I think they were about $15 each
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

They were LEDs
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

The light from NAPA are about as close a profile as can be found and I believe less than the 15 suggested. That said if you need somebetter ones I ahve all that I took off my coch infavor of new LEDs let me know. Pay the post and you may have all that I still have.. Going after the lenses with Mother Mag and Aluminum polish will make them look as new

Bill Edwards 1999 Panther