Home plug in

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
buddaman

Home plug in

Post by buddaman »

Has anyone put in a 50amp plug at home, looking for any help possible.

thx steve 2001 zanzibar
buddaman 2001 zanzibar
wolfe10

Re: Home plug in

Post by wolfe10 »

Nothing exotic about a 50amp RV outlet.

Difficulty will depend on where your house breaker box is and where you want the outlet and whether you have an extra place for a 50 amp duples breaker and enough service from your electrical provider to power it in addition to your other house needs.

Just need two hots (one from each leg), a neutral and a ground-- pretty standard there. Wire gauge depends on length of run from breaker box.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Steve,
I opted for a 30 amp outlet instead for my home plug in for several reasons - first of which was that it was a lot easier to put a single 30 amp breaker in my panel and run the appropriate wiring for it than trying to deal with the wiring that a 50 amp would require. The 30 amp is plenty of power to use 1 AC when it's parked in my driveway - running both at the same time is really the only draw (unless you are trying to use your washer/dryer if so equipped), so the extra hassles just weren't worth it for my needs. My other thinking when I did it was that this gives me an easily adaptable outlet for being able to use my wire-feed welder or any other shop tools outside my garage and not have a huge extension cord through the center of the garage to do it. As Brett stated, it's not hard to do, you just have to figure if your service can handle it and if the wiring run is worth the effort and cost since you are going to have to use a lot heavier wiring. Just my .02.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I also put in a 30 amp feed. One 1.5kw heater, lights, water heater and the inverter/ charger are below 30 amps. Or 1 AC and the above, 2 of the heavy loads will trip the breaker.

A simple way to expand your breaker system is to ID (1) 220v load with a minimal amp breaker (20 amp or less) or (2) 15 amp side by side circuits in your current load panel. Pull these and put a 60 amp breaker in the free spot, Now run a short piece of 60 amp (electric oven cable is usually 60 amp for example larger is ok, but not smaller) to the main breaker of a 4 or more position aux panel with a 60 amp main. Wire the original circuit you just pulled out, into a junction box and run the new pigtail wires to the aux panel, put the pulled breaker and pig tail wires into that panel to protect the 2 positions. Add a 30 amp breaker. Now you have restored the original circuit and added a new 30 amp circuit.

Finally add a 30 amp recepticle (see next paragraph) to the 30 amp breaker in the aux panel and connect an extension cord from there to your 50 amp MH shore Power line. I bought a 30 ft extension for $50.

I deleted the incorrect wiring information on the breaker, I had incorrectly remembered that section. The wiring to the auxillary panel is correct.

Last edited by Safaritoonces on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
buddaman

Post by buddaman »

thank you all for this great info, i am forwarding to my electrician.
thx again Buddaman
buddaman 2001 zanzibar
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Steve

I corrected the post I did on the portion related to the load panel wiring. That section was incorrect and would violate the code, the wiring has to be done in the recepticle only. If you saved that please discard so you do not make an error, my applogies for the incorrect information I mixed up two different projects.

I have added the cirrect wiring diagrams from John, he caught my error.
Attachments
camp-power-figure-7.jpg
camp-power-figure-7.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
RV_outlet_wiring.gif
RV_outlet_wiring.gif (66.08 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/