Dining Room Ceiling Lamp

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
John Ruff

Dining Room Ceiling Lamp

Post by John Ruff »

Did you ever wish to replace your ceiling lamp?

It is one of the easiest things to do. There is no electrical junction box holding up the light fixture in most Safaris.

There is just a hole in the ceiling that the electrical wire feeds through.

To mount a new light, just pick one and using sheet rock screws, just attach it to the ceiling.

Quick and easy.
1999 Safari Sahara
Towd 2014 GMC Terrain
j_r_ruff@yahoo.com
hjw

Re: Dining Room Ceiling Lamp

Post by hjw »

I replaced mine when we did some remodeling of the coach but I had a box mounted in the ceiling. DW picked the fixture which just allows clearance from the overhead doors. Only downside was the mark left in the ceiling from the original light.
ImageIMG_3665 by H W, on Flickr
94 Serengeti Duo Door
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison trans
bdub

Post by bdub »

The dining room light in our '98 Serengeti WAS 120v. I rewired the connection to 12v and installed 4 LED Halo light circles in incremental sizes. Plenty bright and works much better for boondocking.
Billy Massey
40' 1998 Serengeti, 3621b Cat 300hp
2015 Willys
Brownwood, in the Heart of Texas
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

I added a "12V LED puck light" (in the center of the original 4 120V incandescent bulb sockets), of the original ceiling fixture...for use whenever 120VAC power isn't available.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

Sheet rock screws? How sturdy is that....esp if you pick a heavier fixture. Or don't pick a heavier fixture.....
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

QuantumRift wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:26 pm Sheet rock screws? How sturdy is that....esp if you pick a heavier fixture. Or don't pick a heavier fixture.....
QuantumRift
Sheet rock screws are holding nearly everything up, on and/or together in my Safari coach.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I agree with Mel. I have taken apart just about every fixture, trim and suspended component on my coach from the dash, overhead cabinets, electrical harness's, and engine bay components and none of the drywall screws were ever broken.

The drywall screws are hard and have an aggressive bite in wood. I have found innumerable of these screws with rust due to severe leakage but not one rotted out to where screw driver couldn't remove them. I think they seem to have a protective coating. It does seem odd but they work very well. Whereas non coated deck screws in my outside deck (I put in about 10 yrs) ago snap off when I try to remove them.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

For those that might be looking for a solution in this topic to the salon light problem, here's a link for the upgrade I did. At the time of the first post of this question I hadn't completed the changes.
https://safaritoonces.org/project-tree- ... onversion/
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/