1996 serengeti windshield wiper switch

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Robert K

1996 serengeti windshield wiper switch

Post by Robert K »

On a trip to Fl wipers have been fine,until now.

Lost one speed on switch and they park where you turn them off.
Also the intermitten mode goes one way and stops but it doesn't stop at outside or inside it is random and may stop anywhere.
I did a quick search last night and found a post (Tom Masterson) about his problem and it starting with the switch off. He said he lifted the wiper and it went and parked.
I was washing my windshield yesterday morning before we left and I lifted the wiper to get the brush under.

I have done this many times before no problem. The switch part has me thinking it is the problem.
Has anyone changed the switch and have source or part number.

I will be parked for 10 days and will have time to work on it.

I thought Iwas going to have to pull alternator as it had quit. After checking voltage at sense / excite wires I have both, voltage good. I gave it a couple raps with hammer and all good again. I will take it in when I get home and have voltage reg changed

Thanks Bob
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: 1996 serengeti windshield wiper switch

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Robert K wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:32 am On a trip to Fl wipers have been fine,until now.

Lost one speed on switch and they park where you turn them off.
Also the intermitten mode goes one way and stops but it doesn't stop at outside or inside it is random and may stop anywhere.

Has anyone changed the switch and have source or part number.

Thanks Bob
Bob
On our coaches the "Auto Park position", of the wiper blades, is controlled by a switch built into the wiper motor itself... (See 5:45 to 8:00 in this video): https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click

The dash switches simply turn on/off the power to the appropriate wiper motor wires... (as described/explained in this "Windshield Wiper Motor Wiring Tutorial"): https://tinyurl.com/vj929bt
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

Thanks Mel,
I will open up the back of the cabinet and see about removing the motor.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
deanshaw

Post by deanshaw »

It appears from other replies that the switch and motor were changed between 1996 and 1999. I have a 1999 Sahara and my wipers failed on my way out of Florida. At my first stop I pulled the switch out and checked the voltages in and out and determined it was bad. I found the number 75600-04 on it but no manufacturer or other info. I put just the number in Google and it came up with the switch. This switch has multiple wires going to it and it controls start, stop and positioning. If you can find a number on yours, give it a try.
Dean Shaw 1999 Safari Sahara
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

Thanks Dean ,
Missing one speed on my switch made me think it might be the switch. I will see if I can find one and give that a try.
I opened up the cabinet and started looking in to pulling the motor. It looks like you have to unbolt it blind so I will wait until I am home in couple of weeks.
But maybe I will get lucky with the switch
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

Found the problem. One of the wires to the intermitten wiper control popped out of the connection. Everything works now.
I did search for the switch but did not come up with anything local to where we are. Must be Jim X is not participating with this group. His site with the wiper wireing was the second thing in the google search to come up.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd