Cummins diesel shut off solenoid

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
robertfury

Cummins diesel shut off solenoid

Post by robertfury »

Hello. I have a 1994 Continental with a 8.3 Cummins. Mechanical fuel injection. It has a solenoid on the injector pump with turns on and shuts off the diesel to the motor. At least one of the wires for this solenoid runs to a relay under the bed, next to the isolator. Problem is most likely a critter (in Hill Country Texas, high critter count!) pulled two wires off the relay. The way I discovered this was by trying to start it, as per usual when I'm at a location for a long duration, and it would crank but wouldn't start, not even a cough. No smoke out the pipe. Low miles, just over 40k, ran excellent on the way here, over a thousand miles from California and not a problem. So I traced the wire from the solenoid and it went back to the relay where two three wires were pulled off the relay. One is a yellow wire, one is a red wire and black wire that are combined on one terminal. Two black wires are still on the relay. Anyone know the correct position for these two wires, or have a similar setup?

BTW, I have primed the system several times with air pressure, same system I used when replacing the lift pump last year, and I'm getting diesel to the second water separator on the motor so I know I'm getting fuel to the pump. Lastly, there is a second solenoid that is in the fuel line but closer to the second water separator, above the lift pump. Anyone know what this solenoid is for? I imagine the main fuel shutoff is the solenoid on the injector pump, not this second smaller solenoid.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Robert Fury