Will not start

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Robert K

Re: Will not start

Post by Robert K »

Mine is on the wall behind the little cabinet that sits under the dash. Its easy to see about 6"×6" black with Allison sticker on it.
If you take the cabinet out its alot easier to access. Take the heat grille off and there should be 2 screws angle into floor, wiggle it and it should slide out
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

mikeoc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:46 pm Hi John I do not see a link with the photo of the VIM, I would like to get that to see what I am looking for. Please send the photo again if you get a chance. Thanks Mike
Sorry, I have very slow internet right now. I would suggest to google "photos of Allison VIM", that should bring up plenty of photos of exterior and interior of the VIM.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Allison VIM (was: Will not start)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Robert K wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:09 pm Mine is on the wall behind the little cabinet that sits under the dash. Its easy to see about 6"×6" black with Allison sticker on it.
If you take the cabinet out its alot easier to access. Take the heat grille off and there should be 2 screws angle into floor, wiggle it and it should slide out
Mike
ALLISON VIM, (Vehicle Interface Modual)

Mine is also mounted to the front firewall, (behind the cabinet between the foot spaces for the driver and passenger).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Here is a link for the fail to start problem I had. This shows the VIM, and related solenoid etc. This may be of some help. https://safaritoonces.org/project-tree- ... -to-start/

The link is also on this site.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

Hi Guys here is where I am, I can start the engine from the service bay, not from ignition switch. I did check my fuses off the start batteries, both good.I have gauges and controls, what I do not have Is the constant power to the Allison ECU. So I am not getting a neutral safety ok for the Allison key pad. I have 12 v to the ignition switch,and 12 coming out of the switch.
Both fuses in the Allison were OK, Looking at the wiring diagram I have, I am not sure where the neutral start relay switch is located to check. am not sure where to go from here, any thoughts you can offer would be great, Mike
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Mike,
Unless I'm mistaken, one of the power leads for the Allison ECU comes from those smaller wires off your batteries - have you checked to make certain that the fuse back there is good? If your fuse holders on those wires are anything like mine, they are a total pain to check, and one of mine was kind of tucked away and not visible until I started tracing the wires - everything was close to the batteries, just hidden a bit.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

another update guys will not start with ignition switch, all relays I see test ok. fuses from battery test ok,i have power to ignition switch and leaving the switch. I have 12 volt at Allison ECM relay box. I do not have power at one 10 amp fuse,the other fuse does have power, the relays seem ok, I an just test continuity and resistance. Not sure where to go from here. Any help you can offer would be a big help Mike THanks very much
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Mike,

If you confirmed that you are not getting the constant 12v to the Allison computer and VIM, then you issue is not the relay.

Did you disconnect and/or replace your chassis batteries recently or when doing the radio replacement???

You will need to check the four 10 gauge wires that are connected to your chassis battery bank (two fused on positive terminal, and two wires on negative terminal). One pair (+-) feeds the Alison Computer and the other pair feeds the CAT engine computer. Check for corrosion and/or poor connections at the battery posts (the butt connectors can get loose), also check wiring and connection points at the fuse holders. You will have to trace the wiring from the chassis battery bank to the Allison computer. If that task will be too difficult and you can't trace down why there is no 12v power, then the most economical solution would be to run a new power wire to feed the Allison computer. For ease of you work, you could tap power from the front chassis fuse box that is located on the front fire wall. There is three fuse panels located on the fire wall, one panel is fed by the chassis battery, only when the ignition is on, the other is also fed by the chassis batteries, but is constantly powered up, this is the one you can tap power from to feed the Alison. Just for reference, the third fuse fanal is fed by the house battery bank.

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

I had a problem with do not shift light coming on intermittenly a few years back. I finally found 2 wires with badlly corroded butt connectors replacing those fixed issue. Maybe you pulled a zbad connection apart.
Mine were on top of ac condenser in the bundle of looms. The 2 wires were in there own loom.
Hope you find the problem soon and we can all get out and use our MH
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
stuplich@ymail.com

Power To Allison VIM (was: Will not start)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

05wingrider wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 pm Mike,
Unless I'm mistaken, one of the power leads for the Allison ECU comes from those smaller wires off your batteries - have you checked to make certain that the fuse back there is good? If your fuse holders on those wires are anything like mine, they are a total pain to check, and one of mine was kind of tucked away and not visible until I started tracing the wires - everything was close to the batteries, just hidden a bit.
05wingrider
I'm not sure how the Allison ECU is powered but I do know that one of the wires with an inline fuse holder near the positive post on a chassis battery, runs directly FROM that positive post TO to my Allison VIM.
INLINE FUSE HOLDER, (with cap)

BTW, back in '02, (when my coach was fairly new to me), it cost me $1,408, (for diagnostics at "an authorized Allison shop") to learn that.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison