Will not start

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
05wingrider

Re: Will not start

Post by 05wingrider »

Mel,
Thank you - too many acronyms sometimes, and I get my device names mixed up! I was pretty certain that it was your post that I had read about the issues with the fuses back there, and we can easily forget them because they are kind of "out of sight, out of mind" when problems arise.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Bob, did you follow the signal flow in the project link? I worked with John on the signal flow. I think you need to use a DVM and find the source of the lost 12V on the fuse. What my problem was, was a blown ANL fuse on the firewall bus. Did you check for 12v on the exit/output of each of the ANL fuses? Two people in the last month ago were missing the ground for the VIM and could not get the start signals. Also the suggestions to find the VIM 12v line and ground in the wire loom would be good to pursue. If some RV dealer worked on your coach there is chance they butt spliced the wires ... worth checking.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Bob, did you follow the signal flow in the project link? I worked with John on the signal flow. I think you need to use a DVM and find the source of the lost 12V on the fuse. What my problem was, was a blown ANL fuse on the firewall bus. Did you check for 12v on the exit/output of each of the ANL fuses? Two people in the last month or so were missing the ground for the VIM (that signal is connected to the chassis negitive post on my coach and others that I have followed with this same problem) and could not get the start signals. Also the suggestions to find the VIM 12v line and ground in the wire loom would be good to pursue. If some RV dealer worked on your coach there is chance they butt spliced the wires ... worth checking.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Safaritoonces wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:33 pm Bob, did you follow the signal flow in the project link? I worked with John on the signal flow. I think you need to use a DVM and find the source of the lost 12V on the fuse. What my problem was, was a blown ANL fuse on the firewall bus. Did you check for 12v on the exit/output of each of the ANL fuses? Two people in the last month or so were missing the ground for the VIM (that signal is connected to the chassis negitive post on my coach and others that I have followed with this same problem) and could not get the start signals. Also the suggestions to find the VIM 12v line and ground in the wire loom would be good to pursue. If some RV dealer worked on your coach there is chance they butt spliced the wires ... worth checking.
Robert,

Mike's coach is a '96, it does not have/use ANL fuses, and the start circuit is a bit different too.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Acroyms (was: Will not start)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

05wingrider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 pm Mel,
Thank you - too many acronyms sometimes, and I get my device names mixed up! I was pretty certain that it was your post that I had read about the issues with the fuses back there, and we can easily forget them because they are kind of "out of sight, out of mind" when problems arise.
Thanks Duane.
I too find unexplained/undefined acronyms confusing.
However AFKS, (A Few Key Strokes)... (which Google describes as 1.] Air Force Knowledge Services...2.] Active Fund of Knowledge of a Student... AND 3.] Arbeitsstelle für Kirchliche Sozialforschung)....can eliminate that confusion.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

Hi Guys sorry for the delay, its been a few weeks very busy at work and life gets in the way of the things we would rather be doing. Well I am running again, and all the problems were self inflicted. I had trickle chargers on the batteries all winter and when I removed them in the spring after I had installed the radio I knocked out a fuse and did not realize it at the time. I had also installed a new solenoid by the batteries as I was grasping at straws trying to figure out what was wrong. I have a friend who just retired and he was a diesel mechanic and worked on Cat 3126 motors regularly that I called for HELP. He came over the house and had me fixed in 2 hrs. I was missing the fuse and had the diode on the solenoid reversed. That was it, all self inflicted sorry to say but not expensive thank God. So I am running good and trying to get set to go camping later this summer as I am working a lot in July and had some trips already canceled by the State of CT and RI. thanks to covid. Now my next issue is not getting a 12 volt signal to my LP sensor and switch on the floor to turn on the propane in the coach. The switch will activate and I can open the propane when my ignition switch is in accessory position, but I should be able to activate in when I turn on the house switch by the door. This turns on all the 12 volt if I an not mistaken. If the switch were bad it should not work in the accessory position either. AM I correct in my thinking and do any of you folks have any Ideas. Thanks for any help you can offer Mike
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I have never heard of the propane being interlocked with any signals. I would suggest starting a new topic as this new issue may be overlooked by most.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

thank you, I have already resolved my problem.