Microwave + kitchen light don't work

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
geantbrun

Microwave + kitchen light don't work

Post by geantbrun »

Hi,
On shore power, the microwave and the kitchen lights of my Safari Sahara 96 don't work. Same for the GSCI electrical outlet of the kitchen (I tried to push on the reset button of the outlet but it doesn't "click" like I would expect). Does anyone know the fuse that these appliances correspond to? I noticed on the fuse panel (cabinet over the bed, don't know if it's the good one) that one of my 15A fuse (I have two) was broken so I changed it temporarily with the other one, just to see. Didn't work unfortunately. Am I on the right track? Is there any other possible explanation for my problem?
Thank you for your help
Patrick
Safari Sahara '96
05wingrider

Re: Microwave + kitchen light don't work

Post by 05wingrider »

Patrick,
The 15amp fuse you replaced is for 12 volt items - your microwave and outlets are ran through your inverter (even when on shore power) and are controlled by the breaker panel, not the automotive fuse panel. One obvious starting place to look is to see if one of the breakers on your inverter has tripped (they pop outwards), plus look at the corresponding breaker in your 110volt panel. Also, GFCI outlets wear out and go bad, and an obvious sign is when they won't "click" when you reset them, so you could have an outlet that's gotten weak and needs replaced.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Patrick,

Is your inverter/charger charging the batteries when plugged in, while these symptoms are happening?

A few things to check.
Check/reset the 30amp circuit breaker in the 120v breaker panel, that feeds the inverter. If the breaker is off or tripped, those circuits will not work while plugged into shore power. Also check and confirm that you are getting 120v into and out of that circuit breaker. If you don't have power going into the breaker, it could be that you are having issues with you transfer switch and only half of your circuit breaker panel is powering up. If you are not getting shore power from both legs, you would need to test and examine the automatic transfer switch.

The other thing to check for is loose wiring connections were the shore power connects into the inverter input side. At that connection point (inside the inverter) they tie in solid copper wire with stranded wire, using wire nuts. This type of connection has a tendency of getting loose. Often when that happens, the wires get chard from the resistance and heat built up and arching under heavy load. The output breakers on your inverter are not the issue, if they were, your inverter circuit for the microwave would not work at all, but in your case your microwave is working on inverter but not shore power, so that eliminates the inverter output breaker(s). There should be and access panel in the lower front of your inverter (assuming it is the black colored Heart Interface Inverter that you have). Making sure all power is off/disconnected, open that access panel and examine the wiring for looseness and burnt connections. If all seems ok, connect back to shore power and check and see if you have 120v at the inverter input connection points.

Please post back on what you find. If you need further guidance with these testing procedures, PM me and I will give you a call.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

geantbrun wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:03 am Hi,
On shore power, the microwave and the kitchen lights of my Safari Sahara 96 don't work. Same for the GSCI electrical outlet of the kitchen (I tried to push on the reset button of the outlet but it doesn't "click" like I would expect). Does anyone know the fuse that these appliances correspond to? I noticed on the fuse panel (cabinet over the bed, don't know if it's the good one) that one of my 15A fuse (I have two) was broken so I changed it temporarily with the other one, just to see. Didn't work unfortunately. Am I on the right track? Is there any other possible explanation for my problem?
Thank you for your help
Patrick
Safari Sahara '96
Patrick
What TDJohn & 05wingrider said.
(Welcome to safarifriends.org)
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

Thank you to all of you, Duane, John and Patrick. You were right, there was a button on the inverter (many actually but only the output button was not pushed completely). I pushed it and this resetting solved the problem.
Thanks again for your help
Patrick