Inverter cable makes a spark

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
geantbrun

Inverter cable makes a spark

Post by geantbrun »

Hello
I'm cleaning/brushing some cables (see previous post "Engine does not start, transmission selector problem". I removed the two heavy red cables at the positive bus buss (after disconnected negative cable on chassis batteries and negative motorhome cable on house batteries). Cleaned and brushed. When I tried to reconnect the first of two cables, there was a spark. The cable seems to come from the inverter. Looked at the inverter, it was ON. Saw on another post that "capacitors" in inverter can explain spark. I would like a confirmation from any of you on that point. Is it safe or not to reconnect?

By the way, I've also seen on another post ("Norcold 9182 Constantly Pulls DC") that inverter can be set to on/off with switches inside coach and that setting to off directly on inverter is not sufficient to shut off the inverter if any of these switches are set to on inside. Is it also true on Safari Sahara '96? Should I shut off inverter also on the control panel (inside closet in the bedroom)? It seems that there is also a "camera" switch but I'm not aware of such a switch (there is no more rear camera on my rig).

Thank you for your help
Patrick
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Inverter cable makes a spark

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

geantbrun wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 am Hello
I'm cleaning/brushing some cables (see previous post "Engine does not start, transmission selector problem". I removed the two heavy red cables at the positive bus buss (after disconnected negative cable on chassis batteries and negative motorhome cable on house batteries). Cleaned and brushed. When I tried to reconnect the first of two cables, there was a spark. The cable seems to come from the inverter. Looked at the inverter, it was ON. Saw on another post that "capacitors" in inverter can explain spark. I would like a confirmation from any of you on that point. Is it safe or not to reconnect?

By the way, I've also seen on another post ("Norcold 9182 Constantly Pulls DC") that inverter can be set to on/off with switches inside coach and that setting to off directly on inverter is not sufficient to shut off the inverter if any of these switches are set to on inside. Is it also true on Safari Sahara '96? Should I shut off inverter also on the control panel (inside closet in the bedroom)? It seems that there is also a "camera" switch but I'm not aware of such a switch (there is no more rear camera on my rig).
Thank you for your help
Patrick
Patrick
1.) If you have a solar panel I suspect that "producing solar" caused the spark when you tried to reconnect the first of two cables.

2.) As built by SMC my '96 Sahara the center rocker switch, (in a row of 3 rocker switches in the console to the drivers left of the driver), turns on/off both the rear camera and the inverter.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison