Can anyone identify this

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
curry

Can anyone identify this

Post by curry »

I have a 1998 Safari Class C built on a Ford frame. I've been having electrical problems problems for a while. I'm getting no power from my batteries and they won't charge. Everything works when I'm plugged in. I don't appear to be getting any power to and from my house batteries which are charged to 12.6 and brand new. When tracking a main wire from my alternator I found this object. It appears to have a large wire coming from the main bundle and two thinner wires going back to the bundle.
Can anyone identify what this might be and could it be responsible for my electrical problems. I'm at a loss at this point. Attached are several pictures I crawled under the rig and took. This is the unit in question.
Attachments
IMG_3711.JPG
IMG_3711.JPG (114.93 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
IMG_3708.JPG
IMG_3708.JPG (101.09 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
IMG_3707.JPG
IMG_3707.JPG (103.12 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
Moonwink

Re: Can anyone identify this

Post by Moonwink »

Are you sure those are wires coming and going? It reminds me of a vacuum reservoir.
Last edited by Moonwink on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
curry

Post by curry »

I have no idea what it is. I'm wondering if the two light wires go to the battery isolator solenoid. It took a minute for your picture to show up. The thing you showed is rather round. The one in my pictures, it's hard to take them under the vehicle, is elongated and probably a foot long. I haven't tried to open it up yet. Kind of scared to.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Sure looks like a vacuum reservoir to me as well.

Should be able to distinguish between vacuum lines and large-gauge wire pretty easily.

And, the vacuum line would be coming off the engine's intake manifold on a gasoline engine.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Without a better picture of the actual connection area, I'm going to agree with the previous posters in that it looks like a vacuum chamber of some nature. There's a somewhat simple way to tell - take a good look at the connections to the top of it - if it looks like rubber hose/tubing around the whole connection, I'd lean towards it being a vacuum chamber/reservoir of some sort. The large hose may be the input and the two joined smaller ones go to other areas/items on your rig. * Correction * I just went online and googled for a Ford RV Vacuum reservoir, and this is the third or fourth picture of one shown for the F53 Chassis.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
curry

Post by curry »

Hers some more pictures. The part number appears to be 7 300.
Attachments
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG (753.8 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG (598.94 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6135 times
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

The more pictures I see of the how the tubing is connected, the more I'm sure it's a vacuum reservoir. Those aren't wires. You're electrical problems are not related to this canister. If your air conditioner vents stop working and all the air starts coming out of the defrost outlets, come back and visit this piece.

I updated the image in my earlier post for show an elongated tank.
Don Ford
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
curry

Post by curry »

That's it. The image you posted looks identical, but why the light colored wires? But thanks for the information. Old Safaris can be a nightmare.
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

Those aren't wires. They're plastic tubes. Somewhere, they're connected to the damper motors that control the heater/air conditioner outlets. The selector switch on the dash directs the air down to the floor, through the air conditioner vents or through the defrost vents. If there is no vacuum, the system defaults to the most important thing - defrosting the windshield. Often, while you're going up hill, you'll loose vacuum. There's check valve between the manifold and the reservoir tank to try to keep enough vacuum the system won't default to defrost mode. Lots of times my check valve won't hold and air stops coming out of the a/c vents and starts blowing out the defrost vents till I get over the hill and there's a vacuum in the manifold again. Sometimes, those small tubes break and let air rush in dropping the vacuum to nothing. Even rarer, a diaphragm in one of the damper motors will leak. If the tubing leaks, find a good piece of neoprene vacuum tubing the same ID as the plastic tubing's OD and slip it over the broken ends. If the diaphragm leaks, you'll need a new one.
Don Ford
curry

Post by curry »

I appreciate your information, but there are two wires coming out of the unit. They can be seen in the very first picture I posted. I've squeezed them and they don't seem to be tubes. The other one that enters the unit may be a vacuum line. I'll go under and check that again as I have to re-bolt the unit back in. I pulled it loose yesterday to get a better look. My heating-A/C unit seems to be blowing correctly.
I was confused so I posted here. There is very little available information on these RVs.