Odometer gains, but speedometer is accurate

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
05wingrider

Odometer gains, but speedometer is accurate

Post by 05wingrider »

This last trip confirmed for me that my odometer is reading high, but my speedometer seems to be right on the money. My GPS showed that we went 393 miles, but the in dash odometer showed that we went 452 miles, about a 13% increase. Has anyone encountered this before, and is there really anything that I can do about it, or just live with it and go with the flow?? I checked the speedometer against both my phone and GPS and it was right on the money every speed that I checked it at - even when we ended up having to pass a trucker and boosted the speed up to 70 to get around him it was right on the dot. I know tire sizes can make a huge difference, but that should affect the speedometer as well, and as I said, mine is right on the mark.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
chuckster

Re: Odometer gains, but speedometer is accurate

Post by chuckster »

05wingrider wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:07 pm This last trip confirmed for me that my odometer is reading high, but my speedometer seems to be right on the money. My GPS showed that we went 393 miles, but the in dash odometer showed that we went 452 miles, about a 13% increase. Has anyone encountered this before, and is there really anything that I can do about it, or just live with it and go with the flow?? I checked the speedometer against both my phone and GPS and it was right on the money every speed that I checked it at - even when we ended up having to pass a trucker and boosted the speed up to 70 to get around him it was right on the dot. I know tire sizes can make a huge difference, but that should affect the speedometer as well, and as I said, mine is right on the mark.
Wingrider,

go to maps.google.com and for directions, put in your starting location, ending location and then make sure you choose the same way you went if it offers multiple ways to go. Google should nail it down VERY close to reality. What does Google Maps say? Is it closer to your odometer or closer to the GPS?
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
05wingrider

Re: Odometer gains, but speedometer is accurate

Post by 05wingrider »

Chuck,
I used Google Maps plus another mapping program that I have, and my Odometer is still reading high. I also verified it on a leg into Spokane that I know by heart to be 60 miles (after who knows how many years of driving it, plus it's one of our State Patrol metered areas), and my odometer read 66 and was rolling up on 67.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA