Cruise Control not functioning

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Trevor Heath

Cruise Control not functioning

Post by Trevor Heath »

Good Day,

98 Safari Sahara M3344 CAT 3126

The cruise control switches on the side panel light up but when "set" the speed simply drops off.

This condition has existed since purchase in February 2019. It is now the only thing that does not work on the entire RV.

Upon purchase, I took the RV to a CAT shop and had them plug in their laptop with the CAT software - Primary reason for this at that time was the previous owner had had the top speed governed down to 55mph. This issue was removed but they could not find anything obvious for the cruise control and they did not have the time (and likely me the money) to do a front to back search for the fault.

I've also changed the brake light switch and the brake lights do work.

Any suggestions for where and what to look for greatly appreciated.

Thank you
mvu2orc

Re: Cruise Control not functioning

Post by mvu2orc »

Mine has stopped working also (94 Sahara) cumins, believe it to be the vacuum pump as it has frozen up. my dash air is also not working. Looking to replace the pump with something cheeper.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Trevor Heath wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Good Day,

98 Safari Sahara M3344 CAT 3126

The cruise control switches on the side panel light up but when "set" the speed simply drops off.

This condition has existed since purchase in February 2019. It is now the only thing that does not work on the entire RV.

Upon purchase, I took the RV to a CAT shop and had them plug in their laptop with the CAT software - Primary reason for this at that time was the previous owner had had the top speed governed down to 55mph. This issue was removed but they could not find anything obvious for the cruise control and they did not have the time (and likely me the money) to do a front to back search for the fault.

I've also changed the brake light switch and the brake lights do work.

Any suggestions for where and what to look for greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Trevor Heath
Have the CAT shop look at the CRUISE CONTROL PARAMETERS with their computer.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

mvu2orc wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:56 pm Mine has stopped working also (94 Sahara) cumins, believe it to be the vacuum pump as it has frozen up. my dash air is also not working. Looking to replace the pump with something cheeper.
Summit racing has various types of vacuum pumps. I would suggest checking for vacuum leaks, as that is hat usually causes the pump to burn out, by making it run non stop. Fortunately, I was able to save my pump before it burnt out. I was running constantly and getting hot, so I disconnected the pump until I had a chance to look for the leak. I ended up installing an on and off switch to shut the pump off in case I ever develop another leak.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chvet73

Post by chvet73 »

I replaced my vacuum pump with one from Summit. I believe it was made by Hella. Was not very expensive. It’s worked fine since.

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
mvu2orc

Post by mvu2orc »

Replaced my vacuum pump and cruise control is working fine now