Headlights

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
1Lotosrggp

Headlights

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Found this while looking at headlight bulbs for our van and thought it may be of interest to others:

APPLICATION NOTICE: LED bulbs are legal in the USA for Fog Light use only. Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108 and not street legal in the USA for Headlights. Legal for off-road use in ATV, snowmobile, and off-road racing use. International legality varies by country.
Note: This usage regulation is not unique to Diode Dynamics bulbs. All LED bulbs from all brands, regardless of marketing claims, are prohibited from street use in halogen headlights in the USA.

https://www.headlightsdepot.com
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Headlights

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

1Lotosrggp wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:07 pm Found this while looking at headlight bulbs for our van and thought it may be of interest to others:

APPLICATION NOTICE: LED bulbs are legal in the USA for Fog Light use only. Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108 and not street legal in the USA for Headlights. Legal for off-road use in ATV, snowmobile, and off-road racing use. International legality varies by country.
Note: This usage regulation is not unique to Diode Dynamics bulbs.
All LED bulbs from all brands, regardless of marketing claims, are prohibited from street use in halogen headlights in the USA.
https://www.headlightsdepot.com
Tom
I believe that it is outdated information.

Since 2006, the US DOT has allowed LED headlamps to be used in production vehicles in the US (With the Lexus LS600h being the first vehicle produced for the US with all LED lighting). My wife's 2013 Lexus ES300h came from the factory with all LED lighting, including headlights, as did my 2017 GMC Canyon Denali... I can't imagine either Lexus or GMC would violate Federal regulations. I researched this extensively back in 2009 for my Honda Pilot.
My guess is that headlightsdepot.com puts that old regulation, plus the requirement that LED headlights be used for "off-road purposes only" on their site as a "C.Y.A." for those who replace standard 800-1600 lumen halogen headlights with much higher output LEDs.

That said, high output LEDs (Likely with a different focal length than the halogen bulb the reflector was designed for) coupled with poorly aimed, cheap aftermarket headlights found on many RV's can create a lot of glare for oncoming drivers.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
sweetbeet

Post by sweetbeet »

I have yet to have anyone flash lights at me because they thought my high beams are on. LEDS ARE THE BOMB! Bottom line, I am a much better driver at night when I can see :geek: so if you want to give me a ticket for them go ahead, I will pay it! I saved the old bulbs to prove I changed it back if they make me... and then I will change them back AGAIN, but most cops have much better things to do with their time. Pulling over RV's for headlights are low on the list.
Ruth Irons and (Mom) Doris Wagner
Argyle, Tx
2007 Safari Simba 38STS FRED Toyhauler (for electric wheelchair access)
Toad: Dodge Caravan converted for wheelchair access.
Mom is 88 years old, an amputee in wheelchair, she still ministers all over USA.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

sweetbeet wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:17 am I have yet to have anyone flash lights at me because they thought my high beams are on. LEDS ARE THE BOMB! Bottom line, I am a much better driver at night when I can see :geek: so if you want to give me a ticket for them go ahead, I will pay it! I saved the old bulbs to prove I changed it back if they make me... and then I will change them back AGAIN, but most cops have much better things to do with their time. Pulling over RV's for headlights are low on the list.
That's how I feel about aux brakes on a toad.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison