Solar connections

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Jeanfc

Solar connections

Post by Jeanfc »

Hi,
I have a zanzibar 1999 and want to install a solar panel on the roof. How i can reach the house batteries, what is the best way

Thanks for your help.
Safaritoonces

Re: Solar connections

Post by Safaritoonces »

One way is to run down near the fridge vent, thru the roof, then floor, that way you don't have to deal with the walls. On my coach the fridge is the same side as the battery bay so the run is short.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Jeanfc

Post by Jeanfc »

Thanks for your help
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Jean,

What ever route you take, try your best to place the solar charge controller as close to the batteries (but not next to them) as possible. It is very important to keep the wire run between the charge controller and the batteries as short as practically possible, and use heavy gauge wire, especially if you are not able to keep the wire run short.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
jcking

Post by jcking »

hi everyone, if you put a volt meter on a large solar panel on a bright sunny day, what should it read? Jim Kin, 97 serengeti, 3126 cat, 6 spd allison.
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

It depends. Larger panels tend to have higher open circuit voltage. Most panels will have a label on the back with the specs. It will also depend on whether the panel is designed for a 12v system or a 24v system. Big 300 watt 24v residential panels will be somewhere around 32v. Smaller 12v 75 watt panels will be around 17v.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
jcking

Post by jcking »

thanks Jeff, I just scraped off a little insulation off the 2 wires on the roof and it was only 1/2 a volt. i will need to wait on the sun now. jim king 97 serengeti, 3126 cqt , 6 spd allison
Jim King
97 serengeti
300 cat. 6 spd allison
CactusTwo

Post by CactusTwo »

If you are talking the original wiring and the 21x48" panel, it should pop up to 17+ volts unless it is shadowed by you or dirt at mid morning to late afternoon. The biggest problem is the wiring is really TOO small to do a good daily charging. Mine went through the refer vent, across the ceiling attic, up to the front drivers pillar, down to the front hood by fuse panels and to a 7.5 amp fuse then to the house FB main feed with a 16 gauge wire for the last part under the hood....can you say "Bottleneck". As a solar installer I repurposed that Siemens panel through a NEW (built in 2019 not 1996!) 10amp charge controller with 10gauge wires ALL THE WAY to the engine batteries and the panel does a fine job of keeping them charged when I am stationary and put on 4 new 160watt panels connected by 10 gauge wire to a combiner box using 4 gauge wires to a 45amp controller and 4gauge wires again for the last 4 feet to the bank of house batteries. Wiring is EVERYTHING! Oh ya I also had a small original solar panel on the roof too and it "fell off" the roof into the dumpster and I cut out the 16 gauge and 5 amp fuse on the FB hot chassis. If you are thinking of being "solar powered" do it right, if you are always in a park, get to know your neighbors and enjoy life and leave the solar as is.
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel