No 110V sconces, TV or kitchen fluorescent

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
chuckster

No 110V sconces, TV or kitchen fluorescent

Post by chuckster »

Hi SF’s,

My 2001 Zanzibar coach all of a sudden doesn’t want to turn on the 110v fluorescent light fixture above the kitchen, any of the 110v sconce lights throughout the coach or the TV’s. The coach is plugged into garage power. The microwave works, the 110v outlets work and the refrigerator works off of 110 as well without a problem. It doesn’t matter whether the coach is unplugged and the inverter turned on or the inverter off and plugged into the garage. All 6 sconces are all on their own rocker switch as is the kitchen fluorescents.

I have tried flipping all the breakers off and back on in the bedroom closet (none were tripped) and seeing if any GFI circuits were tripped and they are all fine. There two breakers at the inverter (both fine) and one on the generator and they are okay. Looked around the inside of coach and don’t see any other panels to check for a flipped breaker.

Ideas?
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
Moonwink

Re: No 110V sconces, TV or kitchen fluorescent

Post by Moonwink »

I'd bet you've tripped a GFCI outlet somewhere.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
deanshaw

Post by deanshaw »

I had a similar problem in my 1999 Safari Sahara and I tracked it down to a bad connection in the bottom of my inverter causing the loss of one side of the output from the campground power. A loose wire nut had created a poor connection which over heated and lost connection.
Mdreardon1974

Post by Mdreardon1974 »

It might also be the ballast. You might check for power in the fixture.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Mdreardon1974 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20 am It might also be the ballast. You might check for power in the fixture.
That would explain the 110v kitchen fixture but the sconces (6 of them inc. bedroom) and TV in front and back do not have power either.
Chuck & Mitzi
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

chuckster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:44 am
Mdreardon1974 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20 am It might also be the ballast. You might check for power in the fixture.
That would explain the 110v kitchen fixture but the sconces (6 of them inc. bedroom) and TV in front and back do not have power either.
The breaker may have failed. Check to see if there is power at the terminal of the breaker.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Okay. Maybe I didn't give full disclosure. :roll:

So I was replacing my kitchen fluorescent 4' tube fixture with a 110v LED panel I bought from Costco. I made sure the power to it (switch) was turned off and disconnected and I removed the entire old fixture leaving the white, black and ground disconnected and the wires away from each other with a wire nut on the ends. I then mounted the new LED panel to the top of the wood trim piece then hooked up the new LED panel and turned it on at the switch....NOTHING. I then noticed that the TV's had no power nor any of the individually switched 110v sconce lights. Hmmmm me thinks. Me thinks I somehow tripped a breaker. Me looks and finds nothing tripped in the back closet but me resets them all anyway. Me disconnects the LED light and checks sconces...nope. Me then takes the panel out to workbench in garage and plugs the bare white and black wire into the surge strip and LED light works just fine.

I will double check all GFI circuits tonight after work. If you all come up with some other ideas in the mean time, send them my way. THANKS!
Chuck & Mitzi
kraigallen7

Post by kraigallen7 »

IN my 2002 Zanzabar there is a GFCI in the basement just below the fridge location. You do not see it unless the basement door is open. Last fall it went out while we were out and it took me foreever to find it. I can not remember what it went to but I know it was connected to several things.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

chuckster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:55 am Okay. Maybe I didn't give full disclosure. :roll:

So I was replacing my kitchen fluorescent 4' tube fixture with a 110v LED panel I bought from Costco. I made sure the power to it (switch) was turned off and disconnected and I removed the entire old fixture leaving the white, black and ground disconnected and the wires away from each other with a wire nut on the ends. I then mounted the new LED panel to the top of the wood trim piece then hooked up the new LED panel and turned it on at the switch....NOTHING. I then noticed that the TV's had no power nor any of the individually switched 110v sconce lights. Hmmmm me thinks. Me thinks I somehow tripped a breaker. Me looks and finds nothing tripped in the back closet but me resets them all anyway. Me disconnects the LED light and checks sconces...nope. Me then takes the panel out to workbench in garage and plugs the bare white and black wire into the surge strip and LED light works just fine.

I will double
check all GFI circuits tonight after work. If you all come up with some other ideas in the mean time, send them my way. THANKS!
Chuck,

Oh, those partial disclosures are such a joy! :P While your at it, did anything,by any chance, spark or arch while you were working on that kitchen light?

It sounds like you lost one of the two circuits that is fed through the inverter. If I recall correctly, there should be a small sub panel behind the bedroom TV. If there is no sub panel there, check every cabinet and nook and cranny in the bedroom for that sub panel. There should be only two breakers in it.

If you can't find it, send me a PM.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:29 am
chuckster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:55 am Okay. Maybe I didn't give full disclosure. :roll:

I will double
check all GFI circuits tonight after work. If you all come up with some other ideas in the mean time, send them my way. THANKS!
Chuck,

Oh, those partial disclosures are such a joy! :P While your at it, did anything,by any chance, spark or arch while you were working on that kitchen light?

It sounds like you lost one of the two circuits that is fed through the inverter. If I recall correctly, there should be a small sub panel behind the bedroom TV. If there is no sub panel there, check every cabinet and nook and cranny in the bedroom for that sub panel. There should be only two breakers in it.

If you can't find it, send me a PM.
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. No, there was no little sparky's jumping for joy. The switch was turned off and in addition I did be very, very careful. That's not to say that I couldn't have caused any issue. :lol:

I will definitely work on this this weekend and post the fix.I received a lot of good info to try out. Unfortunately, work is the curse of the drinking class and I have had my share of it this week thus far. Good to know I am making a difference in some of your social security benefits! :D
Chuck & Mitzi