Generator issue

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
CWD

Generator issue

Post by CWD »

I have a 1998 Safari Sahara 3506 that has a generator problem. Pulled it out. Not an easy task. Opened it up to find the magnetic rotor self destructed and took out the stator windings. Cleaned up all the magnet bits and replaced the rotor and stator. Also did maint. work while it was all apart. Oil and filter, fuel and air filters, coolant flush and new temp. sensor and thermostat. Had it in the garage on saw horses and wired up a temporary outlet box for each of the phases. Plugged in 4 oil filled heaters for a total of 6K draw. Worked great and would idle down when loads were reduced and throttle back up with loads on. Great!!! ran it for an hour up and down. Put it back in the coach. Now it runs for a minute or so then shuts down. Disconnected the remote control cable and same thing. Did find out that if the A/C units were turned on it would keep running. Any ideas? Onan Quiet diesel 7500. I'm probably going to live with it as it is so hard to get it out.
TDJohn

Re: Generator issue

Post by TDJohn »

Check your output a/c voltage at no load. It is possible that you voltage my be too high under no load conditions, causing the generator to shut down for over voltage fault.
Consider giving Flight Systems a call, they are great in guiding folks to diagnose generator problems.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

CWD
You can use a Kill-A-Watt meter to correctly set the hertz ,(Hz), output, (and thereby the output voltage), of your running generator.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
CWD

Post by CWD »

I did put my kill-a-watt meter in the kitchen outlet and it is dead on at 120vac and 60 cycles. I forgot to mention that when the generator shuts down it sets a code. Code 36 I believe. Overspeed. I don't know why the unit worked perfectly on the saw horse . Idled down with no load and kept producing 120vac 60 cycles. Stepped up with a load and maintained 120vac 60 cycles. I might just live with it as it is so had to get it back out.
Another electrical problem I'm having is no power at the living room table lamp and outlet. I read somewhere that there might be a gfci outlet in the basement. Haven't checked it out yet. Coach was snowed in until this week. Another problem I'm having is with the back up camera. Was working great then all of the sudden it also cr@pped out. I'm new to this all and hope to be able to go somewhere this summer. I bought this coach last summer and all I do is work on it. My buddies bought a Thor 2 summers ago brand new and all they seem to be doing is working on it so I don't feel too bad.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Here is what I found on another forum:

The manual says:
ENGINE STOPPED FAULT—CODE NO. 36 (Engine stopped without command by controller) Corrective Action:

1. Check fuel level. (Note: The genset fuel pickup is probably higher than the vehicle engine pickup.)
2. Prime the engine fuel system by holding the control switch down in its Stop position for at least 1 minute.
3. Check the engine air filter and remove any blockage.
4. Check for mechanical damage.

By doing google searches I have many people with this problem and code. Seem to be a general code to cover several potential issues

It seams like one of the more common causes with a code 36 is the generator losing fuel prime. Maybe one of the old fuel lines is letting air in after it was disturbed. Often, the old rubber fuel develop hairline cracks, which allow air in. Since it is gradual, after the second restart, it's often enough to purge the air out by the second restart. Maybe install a section of clear hose, to see if the line is pulling air bubbles.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.