Reverse lights inop

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
john777

Reverse lights inop

Post by john777 »

After adding my remaining 8 quarts of oil, I decided to test the new 7 pin female trailer connector my mechanics installed the other day. My backup camera does not work, actually I was told it does work but the prior short term owner didn't know how to hook it up. Not as easy in this monster to back up and try and do a hook up with a trailer without a backup camera or help. I decided to call myself via facetime and put my Ipad on the trailer and used my phone to watch what I was doing. Worked very well, but then found out the reverse lights were not working on the coach and hence not on the trailer. I guess it would be a bad day to to have to back up the rigs at nite, so i guess i won't go there....

The reason i purchased the Safari was to pull my 28ft racing trailer, which weights 2800# and holds a 1600# car with tools etc. I figure around #5000.
I like camping at the track and prefer that over using my F-250 to pull the racing trailer and stay in a local hotel.
I'm going to take everything for a spin around the block next week to see how it handles, without a brake controller. Pretty easy to get a brake controller set up, but I thought I'd try without first. My coach has an exhaust brake. Any input would be appreciated.

The first big trip will be Memorial Day Weekend down to Laguna Seca, a 3 hour drive.
John in Sonoma CA
'00 Safari Serengeti Ivory 3706 Front Door
Cat 3126 330HP / Allison MD3060
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
chvet73

Re: Reverse lights inop

Post by chvet73 »

Trailer brakes are not something to experiment with. Most Safari’s only had a 5000 lb tow rating. You wouldn’t want to find out that you needed them after you were driving. Nor would the other guy you couldn’t stop for.
If your trailer is equipped with brakes, use them. Also California requires that you have a brake away system for your trailer.
I’m sorry if I sound direct and harsh about this but I don’t think safety is worth playing with.

Mark
1999 Sahara
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

To add to what Mark has said, road testing a trailer to see if you need the trailer brakes is very deceiving, even if you do a panic stop from moderate speeds. The laws of physics are, the need for brakes, especially when towing a trailer or a towed, rises exponentially, the quicker you need to stop, especially at highway speeds. Yes, the exhaust brake is a very needed plus, but it does not and will not substitute trailer brakes in a panic or urgent stop situation. When one finds out that they are lacking enough braking power under those conditions, it is most often too late. If they are lucky, they get away with just changing their drawers... :shock:

I like the tablet facetime idea, a creative solution in a pinch! :mrgreen:

If your revers lights are not working. One workaround to consider, assuming that your rear docking lights are working. Reconnect the wire for the trailer reverse lights to the rear docking lights, this way, when the trailer is connected and your turn you rear docking lights one, it will light up your trailer lights too.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
john777

Post by john777 »

chvet73 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:43 pm Trailer brakes are not something to experiment with. Most Safari’s only had a 5000 lb tow rating. You wouldn’t want to find out that you needed them after you were driving. Nor would the other guy you couldn’t stop for.
If your trailer is equipped with brakes, use them. Also California requires that you have a brake away system for your trailer.
I’m sorry if I sound direct and harsh about this but I don’t think safety is worth playing with.

Mark
1999 Sahara
Sometime direct is the best way, I'm a retired Marine... Thats why I posted this.
When you guys are towing your cars, are your car brakes braking? Or is there no brake system set up for car towing?
The trailer has a brake away system.
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
john777

Post by john777 »

I'm glad I've had a couple of good ideas and input. Nothing worse than someone new coming on a site and sucking the life out of everyone and not giving any input! :lol:
TDJohn wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 pm To add to what Mark has said, road testing a trailer to see if you need the trailer brakes is very deceiving, even if you do a panic stop from moderate speeds. The laws of physics are, the need for brakes, especially when towing a trailer or a towed, rises exponentially, the quicker you need to stop, especially at highway speeds. Yes, the exhaust brake is a very needed plus, but it does not and will not substitute trailer brakes in a panic or urgent stop situation. When one finds out that they are lacking enough braking power under those conditions, it is most often too late. If they are lucky, they get away with just changing their drawers... :shock:

I like the tablet facetime idea, a creative solution in a pinch! :mrgreen:

If your revers lights are not working. One workaround to consider, assuming that your rear docking lights are working. Reconnect the wire for the trailer reverse lights to the rear docking lights, this way, when the trailer is connected and your turn you rear docking lights one, it will light up your trailer lights too.
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Almost all states require brakes on a trailer or towed vehicle. It varies, but most places it applies above 3,000 lbs.
--> https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
If you did have an accident and the investigators noted that you had trailer brakes but did not bother to hook them up things might get difficult.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
chvet73

Post by chvet73 »

I have a Brake Buddy for my old Jeep Cherokee.

Mark
1999 Sahara
john777

Post by john777 »

Thanks. I’m shopping for one now and plan to take the rig in next week to get it installed.
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
john777

Post by john777 »

Reverse lights still inop, however had the trailer reverse lights tied into the rear docking lights. So when i press the rear docking the lights, the trailer reverse lights illuminate.
Brake controller also hooked up and ready for the 3 hour drive to Laguna Seca.
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021