Backup Camera replacement recommendations?

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
JoeyD

Backup Camera replacement recommendations?

Post by JoeyD »

I'm looking to replace the original B&W camera(and CRT display) with something a bit more current.
Any recommendations on cameras and displays with which you've had good experiences?
Stay safe
--JoeyD
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.
Glenn

Re: Backup Camera replacement recommendations?

Post by Glenn »

Hi Joey,

I replaced my failing B&W monitor about two years ago with this system from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LeeKooLuu-Traile ... 18&sr=8-14

This system isn't wireless, and didn't need to have the "four wire cable" installed that most wires system use. This system uses coax cable, the cable that Safari already installed between the camera position and the overhead cabinet above the windshield. The cable connection are different, RCA vs. F-Type (I think) but you can get adapters and any electronics supplier, or even Lowes or Home Depot.

There are power leads near the camera location to power the camera, and switched power leads in the overhead cabinet from the camera rocker switch on the side panel that I used for the monitor. This way I can turn the system on and off with the original camera switch.

The mount that comes with the monitor is intended to mount on top of the dash. I wanted to mount it on the underside of the overhead cabinet, but when i reversed the mount I found it was too short and the monitor contacted the cabinet. So I used a wood block (stained and varnish) as a spacer the mount flange and cabinet.

I had the system installed and running in less than an hour, and for well under $100.00. Much simpler to install when you can use all the orignal wiring and coax cable. Nice clear color picture on the 7" monitor, much better then the old B&W CRT monitor had even when it was working well.

So far this system has been working great for me, no complaints.
Glenn B.
1997 Safari Continental 4006
CAT 3126 330
JoeyD

Post by JoeyD »

Tnx, Glenn.
Ordered and enroute.
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.
Norcalbruce

Post by Norcalbruce »

JoeyD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:12 pm Tnx, Glenn.
Ordered and enroute.
Hello JoeyD Thanks for your post,
I too need a new backup camera. JoeyD it's been a few months have you been able to test the new LeeKooLuu G2 unit? I am wondering how the camera is working can you give a review? How is it working at night?

My original rear facing camera does not have any sort of night lighting on the unit like what it shows on the Lee unit.

When my OG unit 'changed' into night vision it was great. I could see just as well as in the daytime, as far back as a mile I'm guessing.
I see the LeeKooLuu G2 unit has LED's or something surrounding the camera lens. I do not know much about night vision cameras.

Does your new unit need the LED's to see at night? Are the 'Lights' a Projector type of light? Is the vision only able to see as far as the lights project/light up? Hmmm? Am I saying this right, do you know what I am asking? Anyone?
This is just one of the maintenance items and any help on this is great

Thank You to all the posting on the Valuable web site the posts are outstanding. Thank you thank you thank you, Mel and John you guys rock..

Bruce 'n Jenny, Alive, well and on the road with "Someday" our '97 Safari Serengeti..
Bruce 'n Jenny
1996 Safari Serengeti Mid Door
Cat 3126, Allison
'Someday' is on the Road...

From The Ground Up Farms, 501C3
Chico California 95926

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
JoeyD

Post by JoeyD »

Hello Bruce and Jenny
The experience on dealing with LKL has been interesting. Their customer service is quick considering the global supply chain issues.
The initial camera I received had IR emitters, and a sensor that detected ambient light, enabled the emitters as well as the cut-filter. Unfortunately, the lens viewing angle was not wide enough. With the camera mounted behind its portal and aimed down, I could see the edge of my coach's bumper and about 8' further south, as well as about 8' east and west of the center-point.
I called and asked for a wider-angle lens. They were quick to send me a replacement camera with a wider viewing angle, ~15' south, as well as 15' e/w of the center point.
Unfortunately, the new camera doesn't have IR emitters, it uses an array of visible white LED...not what I want, considering I've located an IR that will be mounted across the back of my coach.
When I contacted LKL's Support, they said there's a wire in the camera that I can cut in order to eliminate the white LEDs being illuminated.
I've not yet had the time to disassemble both cameras in an effort to swap the lenses from IR with the visible unit, and/or cut the "wire"/trace in the visible(wide-angle) camera to see(no pun) how well it works with ambient lighting.
It's on the ToDo() list, but it's a bit lower priority at this point. Sway-bar grommets took precedence.
I will try and dismantle the cameras sometime this week, and I'll report back to you as soon as I've done it.
Yes, the original analog camera had very good available-light sensitivity as well as a legitimate adjustable-focus optics barrel.
Stay safe
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.