Airhorn and step cover

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
john777

Airhorn and step cover

Post by john777 »

One of many ongoing issues. I did some reading and research, several of the old threads are locked.

Airhorn will not work and step cover will not slide. I've read both are tied pneumatically.

Here are pics of my electrical compartment located left and below the drivers seat. Any idea which blue lines go to what and any trouble shooting on this would be helpful. I was told the airhorn works off the steering wheel horn. My old coach had a regular horn on the steering wheel and a switch on the dash for the airhorn.
On the bottom picture, I took the blue tube off and there was no air coming out of it when the rig was running.
Also, when attempting to honk the horn, no electrical noise was heard in the electrical compartment.
electrical compartment left of driver .JPG
electrical compartment left of driver .JPG (2.68 MiB) Viewed 3318 times
front air manifold.JPG
front air manifold.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3318 times
rear air manifold.JPG
rear air manifold.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 3318 times
John in Sonoma CA
'00 Safari Serengeti Ivory 3706 Front Door
Cat 3126 330HP / Allison MD3060
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
john777

Re: Airhorn and step cover

Post by john777 »

I've watched all three of these videos:
https://safaritoonces.org/safari-toonce ... ngine-bay/

Its a great review, I probably won't build my own manifold, but it was very helpful. My chassis service center is an oily mess and the video presentation states exactly why.
chassis service center oily mess.JPG
chassis service center oily mess.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 3313 times
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
john777

Post by john777 »

My mechanic as tracking down the airhorn and stair step lines.

He found these two lines which go to the step stairs, severed. He cannot find the opposite ends.
broken step slide line #1.jpg
broken step slide line #1.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 3302 times
Broken step slide line #2.jpeg
Broken step slide line #2.jpeg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 3302 times
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
john777

Post by john777 »

The mechanic replaced the horn solenoid with one from NAPA and the horn worked really well. So well it wouldn't turn off.

He has asked me to find out if anyone can provide a part number for a hadlely horn solenoid....

This is what i found off of the Hadley website:
https://hadleyadvantage.com/products-an ... cessories/
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

I don't have part number, but any air solenoid will work, as long as the design of the solenoid is to open the air valve when energized. It sounds like the solenoid he obtained from Napa is either opposite or the solenoid got stuck open, or maybe you switch in the horn button is stuck on. This could be easily tested with a volt meter.

My solenoid has not visible number, but it is made by Grover Products Co. and this is the only electric 12v solenoid valve they offer. Mine looks different than what the currently have, but the function should be the same.
BTW, if the old solenoid still energizes internally, it likely just needs a good cleaning. All the gunk you have in the airlines will often bind those solenoids up, clean them up and most of the time they will work like new.

As for the "severed looking blue air hoses for the steps, those are likely vent hoses to release the air inside the air cylinder of the step cover it opens and closes. It is the same concept when you hear rushing air when air brakes are released. If the air can't escape the cylinder won't be able to move in either direction.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
john777

Post by john777 »

Replaced the solenoid and horn works great.
John in Sonoma CA
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

john777 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:03 pm The mechanic replaced the horn solenoid with one from NAPA and the horn worked really well. So well it wouldn't turn off.

He has asked me to find out if anyone can provide a part number for a hadlely horn solenoid....

This is what i found off of the Hadley website:
https://hadleyadvantage.com/products-an ... cessories/
john777
https://www.google.com/search?q=hadley+ ... nt=gws-wiz
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison