two wire plug on top of alternator

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
mikeoc

two wire plug on top of alternator

Post by mikeoc »

Mikeoc here 1996 Safari Sahara 33 ft, Cat 3126 and Allison, having a problem with what I thought would be an easy job. I changed out my alternator it was not charging properly, pulsing on my gauges and when checking the batteries it was also pulsing. So I went and changed it out, disconnected the batteries first and then changed the alternator. All went well until I was putting things back together, as soon as I reconnected the batteries a pump under the coach started running, Ok I felt is was the pump for air horn, I don't have air brakes. Then a light on my oil gauges showing RED is on and so ia parking brake light. I do not understand why this is happening, if I unplug the plug on top of the alternator all goes back to normal.The coach will start and run with the plug in OR out. In reference to the two-wire plug I have only been able to find that one wire is a sensing wire indicating which batteries need to be charging(chassie OR house). The other wire, from what I have read, goes back to the ignition ???

What i can figure out with the lights staying on is that I might have an open relay, but I cannot find one. All and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you mikeoc.
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: two wire plug on top of alternator

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

mikeoc
As built by SMC/Magnum the Delco Remy 21SI alternator on my '96 Sahara has ONLY The SENSE wire (The RED wire in this pic) :

There is/never was, an EXCITE wire.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

How many wires are connected to the top plug, one or two?

What brand and model alternator did you remove and what brand and model did you reinstall???

Please post pictures of the back side of the alternator with all wires connected. Take a couple shots from different angles for better viability.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

Hi Mel, I could not open your photo as sent perhaps you can sent it another way thanks Mike
mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

HI John,having trouble sending photos, I sent them to TDJohn at aol.com is this correct.Let me know if you get the photos. Thanks to both Mel and You Mikeoc
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

mikeoc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:52 pm HI John,having trouble sending photos, I sent them to TDJohn at aol.com is this correct.Let me know if you get the photos. Thanks to both Mel and You Mikeoc
Mike,

That is not the correct email.
I sent you a PM, so check you inbox
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
stuplich@ymail.com

Last edited by stuplich@ymail.com on Wed May 19, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
stuplich@ymail.com

mikeoc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:47 pm Hi Mel,
I could not open your photo as sent perhaps you can sent it another way
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... f.1011401/
Mel
mikeoc

Post by mikeoc »

HI again MEL and John, I think I have sent you the photos so the alternator I pulled out was probably original a Delco Remy22SI. I could not get the exact replacement, Fleetpride had a Delco that replaced that model witch had a internal fan and no plug for the two wires. I chose not to use that I took a Fleetpride model and it almost exactly the same alternator as you can see by the photos. I do not know what's causing the oil gage lights and parking brake to come on when I put everything back together.

Mel I got you photo but I do not understand the white wire is going to switched power or charged light. Can you explain that better to me I do not understand what this means. Thanks again to both of you Guys I really appreciate your help Mike
stuplich@ymail.com

mikeoc wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:14 pm Mel I got you photo but I do not understand the white wire is going to switched power or charged light. Can you explain that better to me I do not understand what this means. Thanks again to both of you Guys I really appreciate your help Mike
Mike
Unlike the photo my alternator HAS NO WHITE wire, (only the 1 red wire).

BTW, to avoid COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS I suggest you HAVE YOUR ORIGINAL/EXISTING ALTERNATOR REBUILT.
Mel