Relays and autoset fuse?

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
JoeyD

Relays and autoset fuse?

Post by JoeyD »

I’ve another set of relays with questionable connections and unknown functions.
Two Bosch-style relays
18CC34E2-6BB7-4366-9BCF-DB3C784C0F9A.jpeg
18CC34E2-6BB7-4366-9BCF-DB3C784C0F9A.jpeg (5.21 MiB) Viewed 3193 times
and a auto-set fuse.
Any guidance or schematic would be greatly appreciated.
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.
CactusTwo

Re: Relays and autoset fuse?

Post by CactusTwo »

Typical functions of the relays are air compressor when ignition is on, Packbrake air solenoid if equipped and/or Kwikee step function to retract when engine is started. Auto reset CB is for power for the first relay (black wire seems to go there) possible air compressor relay. Cut off some zip ties and remove some split loon to expose the wires and do some self tracing
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
JoeyD

Post by JoeyD »

Tnx, Len, that’s today’s list.
Along with recovering from a melted harness along the d-wide frame rail in the engine bay.
Previous mechanic had replaced the cracked flex-pipe with solid between the turbo and muffler. Common sense dictates that should never have been done. End result was a broken v-clamp on the turbo exhaust, and an incredible amount of exhaust in the engine bay. The entire harness that runs along the frame rail is a monolithic collection of entombed wiring. The plastic junction box on the inner bay wall is respective of a Dali sculpture. I have limited mobility, so much acrobatics and MacGyvering are required when working within the Sahara’s Inner Sanctum. *8^)
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: FLEX PIPE (Was Relays and autoset fuse?)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

JoeyD wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:06 pm Tnx, Len, that’s today’s list.
Along with recovering from a melted harness along the d-wide frame rail in the engine bay.
Previous mechanic had replaced the cracked flex-pipe with solid between the turbo and muffler. Common sense dictates that should never have been done. End result was a broken v-clamp on the turbo exhaust, and an incredible amount of exhaust in the engine bay. The entire harness that runs along the frame rail is a monolithic collection of entombed wiring. The plastic junction box on the inner bay wall is respective of a Dali sculpture. I have limited mobility, so much acrobatics and MacGyvering are required when working within the Sahara’s Inner Sanctum. *8^)
JoeyD
You are correct! ... Here is the reason for that FLEX PIPE:
"Flexible ehaust tubing's function is to prevent excessive stress on the exhaust system components by absorbing vibration and thermal expansion that would otherwise cause system components to shake loose and break. (To provide adequate flexibility, flex tubing should be installed in a half extended state.")
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
JoeyD

Post by JoeyD »

Aye, Mel! I can’t begin to tell you how PO’d I was after seeing his work. I left, threw a few expletives, and bid farewell to the LeftCoast. Sadly, the v-clamp snapped somewhere in Alabama. A split tin can, header wrap, and a couple of screw/torque clamps bought me time to get to a decent exhaust shop in NC(R&J Exhaust(Apex, NC), absolute craftsmanship). Life lesson #40896: Things that move should never be permanently affixed to things that either don’t move, or move at a different frequency.
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.