1998 Safari Serengeti electric schematic

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
PMahl

1998 Safari Serengeti electric schematic

Post by PMahl »

Hello all,
Peter here proud new owner of a 1998 Serengeti 38’ with the 300hp turbo diesel. While bringing her back from Florida to have her cared for by my local mechanic the generator stopped working. It will not start from toggle on panel over door. I have seen references to a “files section” which contain things like electric schematics. My question is where is the files section. I have looked around but obviously not in the right area. Anyone able to point me in right direction?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Peter
JoeyD

Re: 1998 Safari Serengeti electric schematic

Post by JoeyD »

Hello Peter
Will it crank and not start, or does it not crank at all?
Does it crank/start/run when you use the switches on the front of the generator?
Do youhave the 6.5kW LP generator?
Does your house LP tank have sufficientpropane in it?
Stay safe.
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.
PMahl

Post by PMahl »

It is an Onan 7500 running on the diesel tank. It does not start with toggle over door or at generator. There is no power to toggle so have to trace it back from there. Was hoping there was a schematic in the old files.
Thanks for the questions.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Check and see if you have power and good connections, especially the ground, at the heavy cables that feed the generator starter. Also, inside the generator panel where the start switch is, there should be at least one low amp fuse, check to see if any of those fuses are blown.

Consider giving https://www.flightsystems.com/ a call, 717-590-7330, their hours are 8-4:30 EST. They have very good tech support that could guide you through the troubleshooting, and they sell plenty of parts that you may need. They also rebuild circuit boards if needed.

Unfortunately I don't have any schematics for your unit, but you might find what you need in the legacy content section of this forum.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
PMahl

Post by PMahl »

I will check those ideas. Do you know how to get the old files?
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Sorry, I don't, I have not really been in that section since we transitioned to this site. I hear that some files and photos have been moved over and some not, so I don't know. Maybe that is something to ask one of the administrators/moderators.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
PMahl

Post by PMahl »

Tried that first but no reply yet.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

PMahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:19 pm Hello all,
Peter here proud new owner of a 1998 Serengeti 38’ with the 300hp turbo diesel. While bringing her back from Florida to have her cared for by my local mechanic the generator stopped working. It will not start from toggle on panel over door. I have seen references to a “files section” which contain things like electric schematics. My question is where is the files section. I have looked around but obviously not in the right area. Anyone able to point me in right direction?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Peter
Peter
You may find what you seek in the Safarifriends YAHOO LEGACY CONTENT, (aka: the files section), here: viewforum.php?f=28
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

I know you said it stopped working, so that assumes it had been running. But, if not, do you have the propane turned on? It's the lower valve (liquid) on the propane tank. Or, if it is a diesel generator, is there enough diesel in the tank to also feed the generator also? It also goes back to: what else have you worked on that may affect the starting issue. More information is needed.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp