Lost vehicle speed pulse

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
fpengr@gmail.com

Lost vehicle speed pulse

Post by fpengr@gmail.com »

For about 600 miles I had erratic analog speedometer operation (wrong speed indicated, then needle waived nearly continuously, then pointer feel off shaft). At the time the needle started waiving the vehicle speed function on the Magnum Intellidrive registers 0. The cruse control also stopped working. No apparent conductor breaks found so far on the Speedo sense wire. Has anyone else been through this and knows of the solution? Everything else appears to still work normally. Thanks in advance!
v/r,

Taylor Hudson
1998 Serengeti Sahara (4060), 3126 CAT (300 hp), Allison 3060W
acquired 2018, 24K miles
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Lost vehicle speed pulse

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Following.
(My speedometer needle has been slightly pulsating for the last 100,000 miles).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Is your transmission shifting normally?

One possibility is the output speed sensor. From what I understand, the input and output speed sensors are the same and if you swap them and your speedometer works, you'll know the output speed sensor is bad.

https://www.scannerdanner.com/rv-mainte ... ssion.html
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
fpengr@gmail.com

Post by fpengr@gmail.com »

Transmission is shifting normally. Replacing the output shaft speed sensor as a try.
stnicjr

Post by stnicjr »

Last year I experienced what sounds as quite similar symptoms. My trusted mechanic found the problem came from a poor electrical connection inside the engine bay on the forward wall with his multi-meter I don't recall what the part was called. He cut off the old connection end and replaced it with a new. The speedo and the cruise control have worked fine since.
Good luck,
Glenn
1997 Safari Sahara
3126 Cat, Allison trans