Odometer oddities

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
05wingrider

Odometer oddities

Post by 05wingrider »

This trip we just got home from confirmed it for me - my odometer is gaining 10%. The bizarre thing is that the speedometer is right on the money with my GPS - if it shows I'm doing 60, both of them agree, however my odometer continues the gain. I use my GPS to keep track of my miles traveled since my fuel gauge has a tendency to wander back and forth (even though I replaced it a few years ago - it's better, but still not trustworthy until down to below 1/2 tank), but it's irritating none the less. Has anyone encountered this before, and if so, what was the solution? Or is it even something that I should worry about and just continue to track my mileage the way that I do and not worry about it?

Thanks!
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
Robert K

Re: Odometer oddities

Post by Robert K »

Under the dash cover I found a tag stating the MH had 8,000 more miles than the odometer showed. Mine has the cat reader computer and that read about what the tag said.
Fast forward 10 years and 72,000 miles and I was just thinking that that 8,000 miles is getting smaller.My speedometer does read 2 mph fast according to GPS and computer.
I will check this and get back to you.
If you can hook up to your plug (cat shop) it will tell the miles I believe.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd