Need to access radio and heater controls.

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
CWD

Need to access radio and heater controls.

Post by CWD »

I have a 98 Safari Sahara 3506. Trying to figure out how to pull the radio out and fix the heater control. What do I need to do to gain access to these items? The radio has a cassette adapter stuck in it. Won't pop out. The heater control has a bad a/c switch and the previous owner put in a rocker switch to bypass it. I would also like to see if is possible to insert in the dash a CB radio. Some of the gauges jump around like a loose connection. Thanks for any input.
marek

Re: Need to access radio and heater controls.

Post by marek »

Experienced based on a 1996 Serengeti - I expect it's similar. To gain access to all items in the dash, the top comes off by removing two nuts from underneath. There are two long studs (1/4 in. or maybe 5/16?) protruding from the dash cap downwards. Removing the two nuts from below and screws from the front panel releases the entire top. You then gain access to radio, heater, gauges, etc. It is not hard but requires some gymnastics as you have to lie on the floor between the seat and the steering column to see the nuts. Accessing them is not that difficult but it helps if you're a circus performer. If all your gauges jump around, it indicates a common problem which is likely poor or intermittent ground. The gauges ground is daisy-chained around the panel. It may be easiest to install a new ground wire to one of the connections then to diagnose existing connection somewhere in the spaghetti. Radio and heater controls are easy. Good luck getting to the vacuum heater motor. I think some disassembly is required. Best luck, let us know your progress.
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Here's a Pro tip: When you have the top off replace the 2 nuts with wing nuts. It will make it a whole lot easier to get it off the next time.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
CWD

Post by CWD »

I looked under the dash with a mirror. I can see the left stud pointing down with looks like a 3/8" nut. I think if I pull out the vent panel from either side, disconnect the vent hose I'll be able to see the nuts easier. I'm too big to fit under the dash and my shoulders are toast so being able to see what I'm doing may be a better option. Was hoping my niece's husband would stop by as he is younger, smaller and agile. I'll post back when I figure it out.
Norcalbruce

Post by Norcalbruce »

"CWD, I'll post back when I figure it out."

Hello CWD, How ya doing? Were you able to sort out a Fix?

I was wondering if it is ok to take this thread a little deeper or to carry on to the Heater controls?
Mine is not doing the job anymore. The turning of the knob does not change temps. The action of turning the control from cool to heat. It's the Center control knob in the cluster. The insides (backside) are toast.

The action of twisting the temp knob makes a 'piece of plastic' slide in a grove around a cyclinder on the backside of the control.
The action Pulls or Pushes a cable of the Hot Water hose to let hot water pass or not,
Yeah this is an old style system the newer ones look to have this all done electrictaly.

Does anyone know what I'm saying? Most of the items; Ignition switch, Headlight switch, Steering column etc. are all scround up from other automotive companies when the Coach was in construction.

The Info I have says, headlight switch came from a 1985 Ford F159. The Ignition switch is from a 1972 Chevy C-10.
So I am in a search for the Heater/AC control panel. I do not know from where this one orginaly came from any lead with be excellent.
Sorry I only have a pic from the cabin side, on back side like I said, has a Tube in the center position (with a cable attatched), and vacuum hoses on another side. I hope the pic makes the trip.

The Coach is a 1997 37' Safari Serengeti 'Someday' is on the road, yay :D. Someday is Registered as a '97 but started construction sometime in '95, the Cat 3126 has a '95 tag on the info. Anyone have any info to Post, or a lead? Thanks for reading my want rant..
'97 Safari Serengeti dash control
'97 Safari Serengeti dash control
phone 2018-10-03 005.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 6857 times
Bruce 'n Jenny
1996 Safari Serengeti Mid Door
Cat 3126, Allison
'Someday' is on the Road...

From The Ground Up Farms, 501C3
Chico California 95926

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Could be your heater problem is the water valve not the control panel. I had to replace the valve in my '98 Serengeti 3706 last year. The valve is located on Firewall behind and above the front bumper.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Your heater control looks a lot like our 2004 GMC Safari van control, yours could be an earlier version of either ASTRO of Safari mini van.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
Norcalbruce

Post by Norcalbruce »

Astrnmrtom Tom,
Good catch I did make sure that part was working.
Since the Temp control part died, we open the hood and move the hot water cut off manually. This is when we want the A/C to take over. Doing this makes so the Heat has no control, Jenny like warm toes sometimes. :lol:

The water leaver moves easy enough for me (now). There is a push and pull action that's needed it is run through a push/pull cable. Lack of maintenance might have been at play here. This cable needs to be 'shot' with a friction reducing lube right through the outer shield of the cable. I hope that makes sense, it's like a minibike throttle cable. :?

The cable was not Lubed before me and that might have been why the plastic inners of the Temp control failed, too much friction. I have been thinking about how to use a 3D printer to make new parts. Hmmm?

1Lotosrggp Tom, OK Thanks, I'm on it, the search continues...

I apologize to all for not posting sooner..
Bruce.
Bruce 'n Jenny
1996 Safari Serengeti Mid Door
Cat 3126, Allison
'Someday' is on the Road...

From The Ground Up Farms, 501C3
Chico California 95926

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.