2001 Safari Zanzibar Electrical wiring burnt - Need diagrams schematics

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
leeviker

2001 Safari Zanzibar Electrical wiring burnt - Need diagrams schematics

Post by leeviker »

This past Sunday I was driving and my exhaust brake engaged light stayed on when I turned off the exhaust brake. It did stay engaged I could not accelerate. I pulled over to shut it down and restart, thinking that might reset things. Then I was unable to start it, I believe due to the exhaust brake engaged light staying on. Called emergency roadside assistance to no avail. HAd someone come to tow it to garage. They told me there was tension trying to tow it, most likely because of the exhaust brake. I was informed I need a special tow so did that. Had it towed to Specialized Truck Repair in Nashville TN. When it arrived at the garage, it would not start from the ignition but the mechanic could get it started. However, the transmission box was not working, not lit up. That was a new thing for me. After further investigation by the mechanic, I was informed of poor wiring and some burnt wires as well.

The REAL problem now is that Safari is no longer in business and the mechanic is having a VERY difficult time getting the wiring and electric diagrams needed for this RV. I believe it has a Magnum Chassis. How in the world can I get this mechanic the schematics diagrams, etc. needed for this PARTICULAR RV, to get me running good again? I have searched everywhere to no avail!!!!

I am in a real pickle. It's been almost a week and no end in sight on repairs from the garage. I have been staying in hotels, running out of money completely so this is VERY URGENT for me. How in the world do we get the right info electrical wise to get my mechanic working and fixing this mess?
ProCycle

Re: 2001 Safari Zanzibar Electrical wiring burnt - Need diagrams schematics

Post by ProCycle »

I've never seen any 'whole coach' wiring diagrams. Instead diagrams are published for each separate system. Transmission diagram from Allison. Engine diagram from Caterpillar, etc.

I'm attaching a couple of files that may be helpful. Also, take a look at the file collection over at the Facebook Safari group.
--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/165304860342760
If you aren't a member you will have to join to have access to the file library.

I'm concerned about your comment about 'tension when towing'. The towing company should have disconnected the drive shaft before towing it anywhere. If they towed it with the driveshaft in place you may now have serious transmission damage.
Attachments
Allison_diagnostic_codes.pdf
(710.96 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Cat 3126 EngineWireDiagram.pdf
(6.56 MiB) Downloaded 294 times
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
leeviker

Post by leeviker »

Jeff, TY so much for the quick response. I am also worried about the driveshaft towing issue. I would thin they would know better, especially when I specifically told them the other wrecker could not tow it, etc. If the tower disconnected the drive shaft, would that cause issues with the transmission lights issue I mentioned?
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

The problem with towing without disconnecting the driveshaft is the transmission relies on an internal pump to lube the moving parts. Even in neutral internal parts spin and they need lubrication or something will fail. Removing the driveshaft would not affect the lights on the control panel.
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

leeviker
Ask the tech at Specialized Truck Repair if this Jim Exler wiring diagram: http://jexler.s3-website-us-east-1.amaz ... 03126B.pdf, (or if any of the other diagrams at: http://jexler.s3-website-us-east-1.amaz ... elect.html), is helpful to him.
Last edited by stuplich@ymail.com on Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

leeviker wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:44 am This past Sunday I was driving and my exhaust brake engaged light stayed on when I turned off the exhaust brake. It did stay engaged I could not accelerate. I pulled over to shut it down and restart, thinking that might reset things. Then I was unable to start it, I believe due to the exhaust brake engaged light staying on. Called emergency roadside assistance to no avail. HAd someone come to tow it to garage. They told me there was tension trying to tow it, most likely because of the exhaust brake. I was informed I need a special tow so did that. Had it towed to Specialized Truck Repair in Nashville TN. When it arrived at the garage, it would not start from the ignition but the mechanic could get it started. However, the transmission box was not working, not lit up. That was a new thing for me. After further investigation by the mechanic, I was informed of poor wiring and some burnt wires as well.

The REAL problem now is that Safari is no longer in business and the mechanic is having a VERY difficult time getting the wiring and electric diagrams needed for this RV. I believe it has a Magnum Chassis. How in the world can I get this mechanic the schematics diagrams, etc. needed for this PARTICULAR RV, to get me running good again? I have searched everywhere to no avail!!!!

I am in a real pickle. It's been almost a week and no end in sight on repairs from the garage. I have been staying in hotels, running out of money completely so this is VERY URGENT for me. How in the world do we get the right info electrical wise to get my mechanic working and fixing this mess?
Where did the mechanic find burnt wiring?

There is a small fuse box hidden in the battery compartment that holds a few fuses and a couple of relays. Check those fuses see if any of them are blown. One of the fuses should be the CAT engine ECM power and the other provides power to the Allison TCM/computer. There is also a set of high amp ANL fuses located either in the engine compartment or one of the rear basement doors. On the chassis side, there should be an ANL fuse rated for only 30 amps, that is the feed to the small fuse box mentioned above. So if the whole fuse box is not getting power, it is likely that the 30amp ANL fuse blew and needs to be replaced. Will the engine start using the start button in the most rear passenger side service bay compartment??? (the ignition switch has to be turned on for the engine to stay running.

I sent you a private message with my phone number, don't be shy, give me a call and I will do my best to help you out.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

It would be great to know the ending to this story. I just saw this thread.
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
Ron&Lori

Post by Ron&Lori »

Yes, anxious to hear disposition, we have similar need for schematics. We have 2002 Safari Zanzibar 3596 (side entrance, pretty sure the model # means that?) w/Cat 330 & Alison 6spd.
So, while we sincerely hope you got your problems sorted we really want to know where you got wiring diagrams.