Searching Ignition Solenoid

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Sahara 3044

Searching Ignition Solenoid

Post by Sahara 3044 »

Greetings,

I have a 1998 Safari Sahara and my ignition solenoid seems to not be engaging every time I turn the key on. If I jump it with a wire and cycle it a few times it works fine, but after a few days it won't engage with the key. Trying to get a rating in amps to make sure I size the new one correctly.

Here are two pics - Wondering if anybody has a wiring diagram that calls out the correct size?

35-12V or 12-96 don't mach anything I can find online.

Thanks for any help,

Joel Walton
98 Sahara 3044
Placerville, CA
IMG_7904.png
IMG_7904.png (606.63 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
IMG_7903.png
IMG_7903.png (667.58 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
wolfe10

Re: Searching Ignition Solenoid

Post by wolfe10 »

Be sure to get a CONSTANT DUTY solenoid.

Bigger (higher amp rating) is better.

Here is what many of us have upgraded to: https://www.bluesea.com/products/9012/L ... 4V_DC_250A

Yes, probably overkill.

Here is an example of one that will work: https://www.amazon.com/70-111224-Soleno ... B00O3HT480

And, some of us use relays (like 40 amp) to supply headlights (one for high beams, one for low beams) for far less voltage drop= brighter lights. That also take some of the load off the ignition solenoid (assuming your headlights are supplied through the ignition solenoid).
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

The 12-96 is likely when the solenoid was manufactured, so probably original. the 35 likely stands for the series of solenoid it was during those years. With the great info Brett provided, you should be all set...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
KleinNOLE

Post by KleinNOLE »

I have a 1998 Safari Sahara and have replaced the solenoid. When I turn my key sometimes my dash does not work along with my jacks. I even have moments when the dash works but I try to use my jacks and everything goes dead...If the jacks are not down I can still start the engine and drive just won't have any instruments. Also my voltage gauge is not accurate... is there another relay under the dash?
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

If you replaced the solenoid, then you likely have a bad wiring connection in that circuit. Dirty or corroded grounds are a common issue, but you could have a similar issue on the positive wire side. Unlikely, put your new solenoid could be defective. You could always test it with a meter to rule that out...
John
Allison 6spd.
KleinNOLE

Post by KleinNOLE »

I had the same issue before I replaced the solenoid. Are there specific places were I can check the groud(s)?
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Under dash, by the three fuse panels up front. Also check the cable lugs, where the cables connect to the solenoid. Another thing to check is a weak or failing ignition switch. If it is giving an erratic signal, it will cause the solenoid to drop in and out intermittently.
John
Allison 6spd.
KleinNOLE

Post by KleinNOLE »

I replaced the ignition switch first. When you say under the dash are you talking under the dash inside or in the electrical area outside?
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Both. Safari commonly used grounding blocks where they would connect a bunch of ground wires to. Sometimes those connections get loose or corrode. On older coaches the small ground wires were white, yours is a '98, which is around the time where they were switching to labeled wire runs, similar to what they use on planes.
John
Allison 6spd.