“House” and “Power” switches in entryway

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
chuckster

“House” and “Power” switches in entryway

Post by chuckster »

Does anyone know what these switches are used for as I have never use them since I bought my 2001 Zanzabar in August 2020. Engaging the “house” switch doesn’t remove power from the coach so it’s possible that this one is defective as it is a rocker type of switch that returns back to the down position with a spring effect. Don’t really see what the “power” switch does although it does turn on and illuminate red.
Attachments
5AF6824E-8D0A-45D4-8007-0FECE51510B8.jpeg
5AF6824E-8D0A-45D4-8007-0FECE51510B8.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 6764 times
5E612D7F-85F2-4C49-AF12-FD1150FBE8F0.jpeg
5E612D7F-85F2-4C49-AF12-FD1150FBE8F0.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 6764 times
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
CactusTwo

Re: “House” and “Power” switches in entryway

Post by CactusTwo »

Looks like the plate has been removed before....maybe you need to do the same and see what and where the wires are connected. Maybe last owner disconnected something because they didn't know how to fix it! Black switch is called a momentary switch and is used for temporary use while pressing it like your tank level monitor or your chassis to house battery boost switch or "just bought the wrong one and put it in anyways" kinda of switch. Use your multimeter to check on power to connectors behind switches and let us know
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

To add to what Len said, the house switch is a momentary switch in both directions, up and down. Engaging the momentary switch in different directions reverses polarity of the signal, witch engages or disengages a latching type solenoid. The other switch I'm not sure of. If you have hydronic heat, maybe it turns on the main heating system, or maybe it turns on the electric heating element for your HWH, if you have that option.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

So I finally pulled the switch plate off and checked continuity of the on-off-on momentary rocker "house" switch. The continuity tests work in both directions. The 6-terminal switch has printed on it "C1572AA" and is a 16A 250V switch. Not sure if something could be wrong with the switch since continuity is good both ways. Isn't a switch like a fuse where it is either a dead short or is an open? I broke off one of the terminals while disconnecting it to perform the tests. It must be the original switch because it is old and brittle and one of the terminal lugs broke off as I was removing the wires to do the continuity test so I'll be ordering a replacement switch that will fix nothing. :shock:
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

This switch might work as your replacement...

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... aGEALw_wcB

By the looks of it, and your description, that switch operates the Intellitec battery disconnect switch for you house battery bank. When in the off position, your 12v house power that operates your 12v fuse panel that is located next to the circuit breaker box in the bedroom, (ex. the 12v lights, fans, etc.) would be turned off. If that does not turn off, that relay could be internally welded closed, or bypassed it a less expensive relay to perform the same function. It is also possible that this switch performs another function using a latching relay/solenoid, similar to the Intellitec relay.
The reason for that type of switch and reading continuity, is the latching type of relays require power application with reverse polarity. Meaning that you apply power to latch the relay, and then switch polarity, applying power in the opposite direction to unlatch the relay. Kind of the same concept as an electric car window, except to latch and unlatch, it is only a brief moment, thus the momentary switch in both direction, with the middle position being the idle position that does nothing.

Here is a link to a diagram of how this would be hooked up to a single battery bank. The diagram is the lower diagram on page 5, the upper diagram shows how it would function with a dual battery bank, which I doubt Safari set it up that way.

https://intellitec.com/wp-content/uploa ... ystems.pdf
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Hi John,

Thanks for the info and the link. I already ordered a replacement from Walmart. Should be here in a few days at which time I will pop it in and check to see if the Intellitec power providing 12V to the 12V panel removes (and provides) the 12V at the panel. I am not too concerned about parasitic drain now, but in the future I may as I retire. The coach is normally plugged into the 50A I have at home.

Kind regards,
Chuck & Mitzi