Still chasing an electrical problem.

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Sahara 3044

Still chasing an electrical problem.

Post by Sahara 3044 »

Greetings,

Hate the be a problem, but I can't seem still trying to trace down an intermittent electrical problem.

Doesn't always happen but when it does it seems to be after the coach sits for a week or so. When I turn the key to the (On Position) I don't get any accessories (gages, heater, air compressor, wipers, mirrors, etc.) When I turn the key to (Starts) it fires right. When the key returns to the on positions engine stays running but still no accessories.

After the engine running, I can press the house batteries tie in switch and then the accessories will come on and stay on.

I replaced the ignition solenoid and that that was it, but it's still acting up.

I'm wondering if the ignition switch my be bad, I see it has two circuits, one for run and the other for the accessory circuit.

Would love to hear some feedback from anybody on what I should do next.

Thanks,
J Walton
Placerville, CA
1998 Sahara 3044
Cat 3126 / Purchased 2019
wolfe10

Re: Still chasing an electrical problem.

Post by wolfe10 »

Sahara 3044 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:13 pm
I'm wondering if the ignition switch my be bad, I see it has two circuits, one for run and the other for the accessory circuit.

Thanks,
Easy. Put a voltmeter or even test light from positive "signal" terminal on the ignition solenoid and the other probe to ground.

Next time this happens, determine if the "close relay/solenoid" signal is reaching the ignition solenoid. If not, either ignition switch or wiring between the switch and the solenoid are at fault.

If signal stays good during failure, check for voltage on the OUT terminal of the ignition solenoid. Even new ones can fail. Again, easy test.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Sahara 3044

Post by Sahara 3044 »

**Update**

So, it turns out the ignition relay is just working fine during the failure event. Had the wife cycle the key while I was down at the electrical panel and it fires and has power through it. The problem appears someplace else. The ignition switch only has two power leads out when in the "On" position -The ignition on circuit and accessory circuit which doesn't appear to be used in this application.

So, is there another circuit or relay that applies power to the dashboard and accessories in the instrument panel?

I'm surprised I can't find an electric digram showing how power gets distributed to the dashboard.

Thanks,
J Walton
Placerville, CA
1998 Sahara 3044
Cat 3126 / Purchased 2019
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

This may not be the same as your problem but I had an intermittent problem with the Hurricane heater. It would run then drop out. One of the reasons was a weak resetable relay in the electrical bay. It should have conducted up to 20 amps but opened at less than 5amps. The way I found it was to bypass the relay circuit with a wire to the 12v bus bar. You might try the same. Remove the output wire from the solenoid and jumper a heavy wire to the coach battery directly to the 12v bus bar and recheck. If it works, remove the sense wire on the solenoid, jumper the sense solenoid post to 12v. Of course make sure you have a solid 12v source or use a battery charger or voltage supply to eliminate any potential 12v source problem.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

That (Hurricane heater issue) must not have been fun to chase down. How long did that take to troubleshoot and repair? I hate problems like that!
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad