98 Sahara not starting

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Safariowner

Re: 98 Sahara not starting

Post by Safariowner »

Looking at your picture of the electrical bay your ignition solenoid is the one mounted just right of center. One side should always be hot, the other side hot when the ignition switch is turned on. I had to replace mine on my 98 Serengeti.
Assuming that a previous owner has not rewired everything, the battery combiner solenoid is near the battery bank near your big (250 amp) fuse. I suspect the problem is between the chassis batteries and where the battery cable connects with the combiner. I had the same issue and turned out to be the main battery disconnect switch for the chassis batteries had shorted out. Bypassed it and no more problem.
The 18 volts showing on the amp gauge makes no sense to me, so no idea on that part.
Ed and Brenda
1999 4006 Continental
Ex: 1998 3706 Serengeti
Ex: 1993 33' Serengeti
warthog

Post by warthog »

Safariowner..are you talking about the one that's in the Driver's side fuse or the on top center picture in the battery picture?
Safariowner

Post by Safariowner »

The ignition solenoid is in the driver's side fuse box.
Ed and Brenda
1999 4006 Continental
Ex: 1998 3706 Serengeti
Ex: 1993 33' Serengeti
ccastle

Post by ccastle »

I just skimmed through this post and didn't see any reference to this solution that solved my problem. My 98 Sahara had an occasional challenge that the generator would not start. It would crank up just fine, but if it tried to start and didn't' stay running, it would not turn over, like low battery. I lived with this for a while, but then one day the engine would not turn over.

Traced through and couldn't find a solution, so thought maybe the starter was going south. I pulled the starter, took it to a starter rebuilder here in town and they put it on the tester -- it worked great! I explained all I had been through, and the guy said, "check your grounds!"

I went through every connection, took it apart, sanded, and bingo, bongo, everything worked great! Even the old start problem with the generator!!!

Don't know if this will work for yours, but it helped me!
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Warthog,

What you are describing points to a bad connection between your starting batteries and and the heavy starter cables that connect to the starter. It almost sounds like you have a hidden chassis battery disconnect switch and it is in the off position. Since that is unlikely, I would suggest to recheck all the cable connections to the chassis batteries. The reason you are able to start with the boost switch is because the boost switch allows the house battery bank to connect to the starter cables. The same reason why your alternator voltage spikes when you release the boost switch. Your alternator sense wire is connected to the chassis battery bank, and essentially the alternator is being disconnected from the batteries by releasing the boost switch, creating the voltage spike. I would avoid doing this, because you can destroy the alternator under those conditions.

If you can, please provide a clear photo showing both battery banks, including the surrounding area, so I can see what cable goes where. Than some photos showing each battery bank individually. In your engine compartment, there might be some high amp ANL fuses, if you have those, check them, especially the chassis side. Please take pictures of the front engine compartment, mainly the center and passenger side of the wall of the engine box, which should also be your bed box. Take the photos from a distance, so I can see the surrounding areas, this allows me to see more and spot anything that looks out of the ordinary. I'm also going to send you a PM, so be sure to check your PM inbox...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.