Inverter/charger replacement

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Networkman

Inverter/charger replacement

Post by Networkman »

The Heart Freedom 15 D Inverter in our 1999 Safari Zanzibar has become intermittent in charging the batteries and providing power to the AC outlets. What replacement units are recommended?
TDJohn

Re: Inverter/charger replacement

Post by TDJohn »

If the inverter charging and 120vac output is intermittent, I would suggest to check for loose wiring connections at the main breaker panel, where the wires connect to the 30amp circuit breaker that feeds power to the inverter, check any and all connections at the junction boxes of that particular wiring run, and also check the wiring connections where the 120vac lines connect inside the inverter. I have seen the connections get loose in the inverter and burn out from arching, providing very erratic power, some times working and sometimes not working. Considering that the coach lives through an earthquake every time is riding down the road, those wires can get loose anywhere where there is a connection point.
If you do need an inverter, I would recommend Magnum Energy brand, their Magnum MS series inverters. Really good quality, and probably the last and only inverters that are still made in America. There are other brands, but most are made in China, but they may still serve you well for less money. Victron is made in Europe. So one needs to do some research and see what fits their needs. I have a Magnum MS2812 and I am very happy with it. They also have a hybrid inverter model MSH3012 that is very advantageous if you do a lot of moochdocking with limited power supply.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Networkman

Post by Networkman »

Thanks, John for the information. I was running a small ceramic space heater inside. We are always plugged into 50-Amp shore power when parked at home. I think that the heater was overloading the pass-through capacity for the inverter, and it was shutting off. The inverter/charger would not work again until I removed the load and reset my main breaker for the coach.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Was the main breaker actually tripping???

If not, probably shutting the main breaker off was resetting the inverter by cutting power off to it. Considering that you have the smaller capacity inverter, I definitely would not be using the inverter circuit to run a 1500 watt heater. There are plenty of other outlets that don't use the inverter circuit, would suggest using them. Considering the fairly poor quality of the outlets in our coaches, I would suggest using two heater, plugged into different "non inverter" outlets, with the heaters set at 750 watts instead of the full 1500. This way it is easier and safer on the system and allows the heat to be spread more evenly.
I very strongly suggest to check and re tighten all connections connections in the main breaker panel, all connections in the inverter, and any connections in the junction boxes of the line that feeds shore power from the main breaker panel to the inverter. Let me know if you find anything. If you do find some burnt connections, you can trim back the wires and reconnect them.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Knollibe

Post by Knollibe »

I replaced my inverter with the xantrex Xc 2000 as it was lithium friendly. With a new inside control it cost about $800
There is website batteryhookup.com that is selling renogy 2000 watt inverters for $499. 10% off with code diy.
And yes 1500 watt heater on one circuit is a bit much.
Dwayne
1996 safari Sahara since 2010
Chev Colorado zr2 toad, electric pedego bikes.
3rd motorhome.
Networkman

Post by Networkman »

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. The problem has been solved. I found two of the smaller wires in the Power Transfer Contactor box loose, but still making intermittent contact. After removing shore power and disconnecting the house batteries, I went through the contactor panel and made sure that all wiring was intact. Everything is now functioning properly.
The symptoms were: everything was working. The next day, I had no 120 VAC or charging for the house batteries. No breakers ever tripped. Sometimes, resetting the main breaker to the coach would start the processes working again, until it failed.
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Glad you found the problem. I suggest that checking and tightening connections at the transfer switch and breaker panel should be part of your regular maintenance schedule. Doesn't have to be done frequently, but annually of you use the rig part time, or full time without a lot of moving, or twice a year if you full time and travel a lot. Only takes a few minutes to do. It's surprising how common it is that these connection loosen up from all the vibration traveling down the road.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.