Rear docking lights

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
oldcobia

Rear docking lights

Post by oldcobia »

1995 Safari and can't get rear docking lights to work. Bulbs are good. No power to connections. Does transmission have to be in reverse while switch is on? Do they go through a relay? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
astrnmrtom

Re: Rear docking lights

Post by astrnmrtom »

I'm going to assume you are not referring to the backup lights that normally come on when you shift into reverse.

Have you checked the fuse?

On my '98 there's a fuse in the main fuse bay marked Front Fog lights/Rear fog lights. It's number 25.

Both are controlled manually by switches on the dash. Have you checked for power at the switch? I can't find my chassis wiring diagrams right now, but if I do, I'll let you know what I find.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

I have checked fuses, all good. Front fog lights work fine. Both work lights on side work fine. After checking more it seems the rear docking lights are wired different than side work lights. Maybe switch has something internal is not right. Would like to see wiring schematic if you can find it. Thanks
CactusTwo

Post by CactusTwo »

there is a 8 terminal connector block for all the rear lights on the passenger side right next to the rad. 9 from 10 it needs to be separated and cleaned
Len and Brenda Nugent
Alberta, Canada, fulltimers since 2012
1996 Safari Serengeti 3740 front door, bought in Feb 2019
Cat 3126 300hp, Allison MD3060, VelvetRide suspension
sold 2008 GMC Duramax 3500 and 37' Cedar Creek 5th wheel
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Thanks, will check it out tomorrow.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Ever feel like a real dummy. Trying to get rear docking lights to work and realized in manual they are called driving lights not docking lights. Thought the switch to operate them was in same trio of switches where side working lights was. Instead they are called driving lights. Switch is next to fog light switch. I guess it would be correct to call them driving lights if you are going backwards. Now just need to find replacement sealed beam. Thanks for all input
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Ha ha, I thought you said the lights were good. ;)

The bulb part number is: H9406 NAPA carries them, but they are not cheap, $20+ and they don't last long. Fellow Safarifriends member Bob King recently found an LED driving light that fits perfectly, that can be had for only $5 more then the OEM style halogen bulb, $25 per light, at Walmart. Here is the link to the thread discussion and photos of the light:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40274&p=226514&hili ... ht#p226514

BTW, most Safari people call these lights docking lights, as that is what they are mostly used for, so you're not a dummy and don't feel bad. Note the name of the thread that I provided the link too. :D

Here is a link where you can purchase these LED lights through Walmart. Please note: there is only one light per box, so if you are changing both, you will need to buy two boxes. Both Bob and myself kinda got tricked into thinking there are two lights per box like most driving lights are packaged. I still have to go back to the store to get the second light. Lol.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alpena-LEDRo ... /167716935

One last thing, on my '95 Serengeti coach, the group of three light switches that you mentioned, two being the side docking light, the third switch on my coach operates the basement lights. That third switch on your coach will likely perform the same function. Do note that each basement light has its own individual switch too. Both the main switch and the individual switches need to be turned on for the basement lights to work, but only the master switch is needed to turn them all off...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

I think I said all fuses and front fog lights and side docking lights were good. But all good now. Found replacements at Orielly. I don’t feel bad about being a dummy. Had plenty of experience of that in past and am looking for more in future. The switch you mentioned on your coach is same as mine. All basement lights working is next on to do list. Thanks
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Glad to hear that you have it all sorted out.

How much did Orielly charge for the light?
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

18 plus tax. It is a SYLVANIA-XtraVision-HeadlightH4703. Might swap for H4701. 03 is supposed to be more yellow than white. Will compare tonight to see which one I like better. Thanks