Mounting solar panels

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
eneriksen

Mounting solar panels

Post by eneriksen »

Just FYI...
When I installed my first panels, I found lots of places wanting to take my money for all kinds of mounting kits.

I ended up designing my own using SuperStruts, 1/4 in. strut channel spring nuts, steel tapped hole U-style clip-on nuts, 3" coated door hinges and assorted bolts and washers to connect the panels to the struts. This was a very easy installation which allows me the flexibility to move or replace the panels in minutes, easy access to the wiring and splitters. It also required many fewer screws into my roof.

When boondocked for a longer period I can also raise the panels to match the optimum angle for my current location. You can even mount several rows of panels on a shared strut. I'm currently working on a strut mounted "scissor jack" to automatically raise and lower the panels from remote.

I have used this configuration for several years now and 6K miles, including recently five hours of fifty MPH gusting crosswinds, so I have no concerns about them staying where they I put them.
keysplayah

Re: Mounting solar panels

Post by keysplayah »

Hi there I ould love to see what this looks like. I took my solar panels off to replace the rubber roof, and I haven't reinstalled them yet. This seems like a much better way then what was originally there. My email is keysplayah@gmail.com if you wouldn't mind showing me what it looks like.

Thanks
Shane
Norcalbruce

Post by Norcalbruce »

Please if you can post any pictures of your work Here, you will be able to help others.
Bruce 'n Jenny
1996 Safari Serengeti Mid Door
Cat 3126, Allison
'Someday' is on the Road...

From The Ground Up Farms, 501C3
Chico California 95926

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Busbum

Post by Busbum »

Hi Bruce and Jenny,
Here is a link to a youtube video which I followed using the super strut product on my Safari Trek, hope this helps...

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uubcw8gGPw/url]
eneriksen

Post by eneriksen »

Been raining but as soon as I can get back up there I will post some photos.

Everything I used came from Loews, Home Depot and Amazon. Any of the three will have everything, I just went for the best prices.
eneriksen

Post by eneriksen »

My panels mount to the strut on the long sides using the existing four mounting holes in the panel frame.
Two Panels.jpg
Two Panels.jpg (5.62 MiB) Viewed 12093 times
U-nuts slide right onto the panel frame mounting holes.
U-nut.jpg
U-nut.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 12093 times
When I first installed them I used the strut nuts with the plastic retainer however the plastic did not handle the sun and weather well which made them harder to reinstall when I moved or replaced panels. Now I am using the spring loaded strut nuts. I use 3/8" hex bolts with 3/8" U-nuts since they fit perfectly in the mounting holes provided in the panels.
Strut spring nut.jpg
Strut spring nut.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 12093 times
I use two spring strut nuts to mount each of the two (per panel) door hinges to the strut with 3/8" x 1" hex bolts, using the two outer holes in the hinge. Make sure that the barrels of both hinges are pointing the same direction. For me the best fit was facing up.
Hinge Mount.jpg
Hinge Mount.jpg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 12093 times
I use one 3/8" x 1" hex bolt to connect the hinge to the panel frame through the inserted U-nut using only the center hole on the hinge.
Panel to hinge.jpg
Panel to hinge.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 12093 times
Panels can now be lifted up well past 90 degrees (although I don't recommend it :o ) which allows access to the wiring and connectors below the panels.
Lifted up.jpg
Lifted up.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 12093 times
The left side (in my example photo) is simply connected to the second strut with a short flat strap of metal with a hole in each end, again using the strut nuts and U-nuts, two each per panel.

I am currently working on a powered screw based scissor jack arraignment that will reside inside the second strut and allow the panels to be raised together from the cabin. Yes, I know, just one more thing to remember to secure, like the TV antenna, before driving away. :o

For mounting this way it is best that the panels are the same width. My panels are because since they are connected in parallel I want to have matching panels for both size and electrical characteristics.

If you have the space it is possible to mount additional panels to the left strut.

Hope this helps.