95 Serengeti - Have Running Lights but no High/Low Headlights

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
AstrOverlander

95 Serengeti - Have Running Lights but no High/Low Headlights

Post by AstrOverlander »

Hello fellow Safarians, I own a 1995 Safari Serengeti and I found out the hard way last night that I have running lights but no headlights, High or Low beams. I've pulled the control panel next to the drivers seat to check and clean the headlight switch and leads and still have no love. My next step is to verify power to the bulb leads, but am away from the rig at the moment. I will update the post once I've tested that. I've searched exhaustively online but haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram for the headlights to identify the relay, which I suspect may be the problem.

I thought I'd post here to see if any of you fine folks have seen/had this problem and could offer any advice as to how to resolve this issue.

Thanks!
--AstrOverlander
--AstrOverlander and his Dog
1995 Safari Serengeti 40'
1Lotosrggp

Re: 95 Serengeti - Have Running Lights but no High/Low Headlights

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Probably a loose connection. Open your hood. You'll see a strip with wires coming in and going out that has screws at the wire ends. Tighten all the screws. Later you might want to consider rewiring for relays.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

It is possible that your headlight switch went bad, so you would also need to test that. If it is bad, pick up a headlight switch at the auto parts store. Tell them that you need a headlight switch for an '86 Ford Bronco or F150, as that will be a direct replacement for a '95 model year. I'm not sure on the newer model Safaris.

Also, most, if not all Safari coaches have driving lights (switch is on the left dash, in the row of switches). If those lights work, it should get you by in a pinch if you need to drive it at night. On my coach, they work better than the headlights. :roll:
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
AstrOverlander

Post by AstrOverlander »

Thanks for the replies, Folks. I've been moving so was delayed in replying. I'll follow the advice and report back my findings once I'm finished.
--AstrOverlander and his Dog
1995 Safari Serengeti 40'
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

Has anybody asked if he even has headlight relays? If it doesn't that Ford headlight switch gets mighty hot.

With no relays and self-resetting breakers, about the only thing would be a fuse. Need a voltmeter and check voltages at a couple of places: At the headlight switch, and coming off the high - low beam switch.

But if the headlights are not on, and t here's a substandard voltage at the bulbs (8v or below), then headlight switch will be dropping voltage as well as the hi-low beam circuit....
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, many of us HAVE installed relays for both high and low beam headlights.

The original wire just serves as the "signal" to close the relay.

Easier on the switch and a lot brighter, as very little voltage drop compared with the OE with all power running through the switch.

Need two fuses/fuse holders
2 40 amp constant duty relays
Some 10 gauge wire (for less voltage drop)

Easy to locate in the nose/front access area.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

I was asking AstrOverlander if HE had relays in HIS coach. I know how the relays work and I did install relays for the hi / lo beams on my Serengeti.

You missed two important components on your parts list: SELF-RESETTING breakers, much better instead of fuses. But I mentioned for AstroOverladnder to check the fuse in any case, if he has headlight fuse(s).

If the headlight switch is getting hot on dash, that's a sure sign it doesn't have relays. If current is going thru that dimmer switch as well, that switch can fail, and he would have voltage going into the dimmer but nothing coming out of it, no matter what the position.
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission