Honda EV6010

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
Limier

Honda EV6010

Post by Limier »

We have a ‘93 Serengeti with a EV6010 generator. The generator starts and runs fine, until it starts producing power. Then it starts rattling and making noise so that I have to switch it off.
I’m guessing something is loose in the rotating electric end

I have an owners manual but it doesn’t cover the electrics. Does anyone have a link to an exploded view of the actual generator end?
Or advice on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Bob Side

‘93 Serengeti. C8.3-250hp Cummins. 6 speed Allison. Oshkosh Chassis
New Zealand. Converted to drive on the left.
TDJohn

Re: Honda EV6010

Post by TDJohn »

Without hearing the actual noise, it is hard to tell, but could it be that your generator engine mounts have gone bad and under load it starts rattling? I could be wrong, but it seems that if something was loose in the generator head, it would be rattling and making a racket as soon as the engine starts.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Limier

Post by Limier »

That’s a good thought, I’ll check that. It’s definitely something that only happens under load, and it doesn’t sound piston/conrod related. As soon as the rain goes away.
Regards

Bob Side

‘93 Serengeti. C8.3-250hp Cummins. 6 speed Allison. Oshkosh Chassis
New Zealand. Converted to drive on the left.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

You could also visually observe the generator under load, to see of it is vibrating or dancing around. When the generator is cool, maybe try rocking the generator back and forth, to see it there is a lot of movement. Your rig is 30 years old, so the rubber mounts are probably dry rotted by now.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.