looseing power on 30 amp breaker in electrical panel

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
mikeoc

looseing power on 30 amp breaker in electrical panel

Post by mikeoc »

Hi gang this is Mike O"Connor with 1996 Safari Sahara 33 ft' 3126 Cat with Allison, I am having an issue with loosing power on my 30 amp breaker in my electrical panel. This is happening on shore power or when on generator, this does not happen when not on any power and turn on the inverter.I realize I cannot run the microwave on the inverte rbut I do have power at the plug in this situation.So the strange thing is when I plug into shore power and the transfer switch engages the power is good at the microwave for a second and when the inverter kicks on I loose the power. I did try to replace the 30 amp breaker with no luck. I did check to see if I had any loose wire connections in the breaker panel and I did not. I first thought it was my transfer switch and I replaced it and it seemed to work for a week or so. I am not sure which way to turn I have called a few repair shops and they do not want to work on anything this old. Any help will be greatly appreciated Mike.
TDJohn

Re: looseing power on 30 amp breaker in electrical panel

Post by TDJohn »

Assuming that you have an inverter charger, and not just an inverter, does your inverter charge the house batteries when this issues occurs???
Check for loose connections where the shore power feeds into the inverter. I have seen on a few occasions there the wiring feeding into the inverter gets loose and arches out burns up the wires due to the additional resistance and heat on the loose connections. If that checks ok, it could be that you are having issue with the internal transfer switch inside the inverter.

What brand and model inverter do you have?
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.