Preignition dash light not coming on

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
TemescalTom

Preignition dash light not coming on

Post by TemescalTom »

Happy Holidays All, I haven't started my coach in several years. Went to start and engine turns over but there's no light for the preignition heater. It didn't start even after several tries and the pre-ingnition light never illuminated. I checked wiring around the starter, all around engine area and no evidence of wires damaged or chewed through by critters. Any idea of where to look next? Everything else in startup sequence appears operational. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year! Tom
1997 Safari Ivory 3730, 3126 CAT/4060 Allison
wolfe10

Re: Preignition dash light not coming on

Post by wolfe10 »

Have you checked for power at the intake manifold heater solenoid (top of engine) when the key is turned to the first position?

BTW, you will have the Allison 3060, not 4060 with the Caterpillar 3126.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Glenn

Re: Preignition dash light not coming on

Post by Glenn »

Hi Tom,
You mentioned that "everything else in the startup sequence appears operational." Does this include the Check Engine light illuminating for 3 to 5 seconds after "Key-On"? If the Check Engine light does not illuminate when the key is switched on, the ECM isn't powered up. Without the ECM powered up, the starter will still crank but nothing else on the engine will function. Power to the ECM is controlled by a relay on the wiring harness between the batteries and the engine. I located mine attached to a frame member behind the battery tray, had to roll the tray out to find it. I've had problems with it multiple times.

Best of luck,
Glenn B.
1997 Safari Continental 4006
CAT 3126 330