run time

Forum for both AC and DC electrical components. From engine alternator to dashboard, inverter to batteries, and everything electrical in-between.
dsandifer

run time

Post by dsandifer »

1997 Safari Sahara
3126 Cat
front entrance
36 ft long
Hello All
I just installed 4 new coach batteries and everything is ok lights appliances etc Now here is the big question I have
I have never boondocked before but will do so in the near future if I leave a small fan running while the generator is off and engine but will have the inverter on how long can this (inverter) run before my batteries die?

Please Help
Thank you all
Don
wolfe10

Re: run time

Post by wolfe10 »

Don,

We/you will need a lot more information before you arrive at an accurate answer.

Assume you are talking about the HOUSE battery bank, not CHASSIS.

What 4 batteries did you install? Are they 6 VDC wired in series/parallel or 12 VDC batteries wired in parallel? With that information, you can go to your battery manufacturer's website to determine the total AMP-HRS at 12 VDC.

Figure on using 50% of that, as draining batteries below 50% materially shortens their life. Of course this assumes that the batteries are new (full capacity) and are fully charged when you start.

Then you need to calculate the amp draw of everything you will be running. Include power loss because of inverter inefficiency.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Don, In addition to Brett’s answer, the inverter need not run for those two fans since the fridge is 12 volts and the fans are no doubt 12 volts and powered from the 12 volts inside the fridge since there is no 120 inside the unit. There is no need for the inverter producing 120 volts unless you are running fridge on 120 which you should not be. The elements in the fridge cooling unit are 120 and will drain the house quickly. It should be running on propane and 12 volts and then it will run quite a while, like days. Yup we boondocks a lot. Lots of tricks to make systems efficient and tanks all last a long time. The above infers that you are not hooked up to shore power.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

dsandifer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:02 pm Hello All
I just installed 4 new coach batteries and everything is ok lights appliances etc Now here is the big question I have
I have never boondocked before but will do so in the near future if I leave a small fan running while the generator is OFF and engine but will have the inverter ON on how long can this (inverter) run before my batteries die?
Please Help
Thank you all
Don
Don
I question why you would use a 120VAC fan, (which requires inverter power when boondocking), rather than a 12VDC fan, (which runs on battery power...with the inverter TURNED OFF)?
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Good question Mr. Mel I did not get that part...Definately use the 12 volt fan Don

Bill Edwards
1999 Panther