Re: RVA Levelers

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
s1260@att.net

RVA Levelers

Post by s1260@att.net »

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safarimotorhomes\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\Safarifriends\2016-02-06 001 2016-01-24 011.jpg]2016-02-06 001 2016-01-24 011.jpg[/url]
I just had one of my RVA levelers rebuilt from RVA (Escondido, CA) because it was slightly seeping and would not hold up.  When I took the leveler down I was taking to the owner/creator of the RVA, a very interesting guy, he told me exactly how the levelers work while they disassembled my leveler right in front of me.  You would be amazed at the lack of moving parts inside of the leveler.
Anyway back to the reason I am posting.  While talking to the owner and explaining what my levelers were doing he also asked about the bushings.. I honestly never saw any bushings (as they were completely gone). He told me that was a issue with the setup from that time.  RVA used rubber bushings, which do not hold up over time, on the rear levelers.  The bushings give them a little play to distribute the weight of the RV.  RVA now uses urethane bushings, which will hold up better in time.. 
If you were to lower your rear levelers down just a few inches so you can get to them easily and try and move the post in and out, you need new bushings.  The levelers should not move.  The urethane bushings are quite easy to replace if you have any mechanical knowledge at all.  Just remove the two bolts on the sides (the leveler will swing in and out at this time, that is normal), pull the bolts out, being careful about the washers, put in the new bushings between the washers and tighten the bolts back up.  
A simple fix to an issue you may not even know you had.
TD

Re: RVA Levelers [1 Attachment]

Post by TD »

Did he say what negative affects there might be if the bushings are not replaced???

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM, s1260@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
[Attachment(s) from s1260@... [Safarifriends] included below]

I just had one of my RVA levelers rebuilt from RVA (Escondido, CA) because it was slightly seeping and would not hold up.  When I took the leveler down I was taking to the owner/creator of the RVA, a very interesting guy, he told me exactly how the levelers work while they disassembled my leveler right in front of me.  You would be amazed at the lack of moving parts inside of the leveler.
Anyway back to the reason I am posting.  While talking to the owner and explaining what my levelers were doing he also asked about the bushings.. I honestly never saw any bushings (as they were completely gone). He told me that was a issue with the setup from that time.  RVA used rubber bushings, which do not hold up over time, on the rear levelers.  The bushings give them a little play to distribute the weight of the RV.  RVA now uses urethane bushings, which will hold up better in time.. 
If you were to lower your rear levelers down just a few inches so you can get to them easily and try and move the post in and out, you need new bushings.  The levelers should not move.  The urethane bushings are quite easy to replace if you have any mechanical knowledge at all.  Just remove the two bolts on the sides (the leveler will swing in and out at this time, that is normal), pull the bolts out, being careful about the washers, put in the new bushings between the washers and tighten the bolts back up.  
A simple fix to an issue you may not even know you had.
MJ Johnson

Post by MJ Johnson »

Funny you should mention the levelers: I just had my Safari out and noticed that one of my rear levelers is retracting on its own after a day or so. Anyone have any insight? I've done some research and it seems to be a solenoid?Thanks
Mel
rob shelton

Post by rob shelton »

Mel,  when you look up RVA levelers you will find a website with a phone no. and parts list. The man who engineered them is still at it, just he and his wife. The website has a trouble shooting guide as well. Super nice man who probably won't be doing this much longer. He sells parts from on hand inventory. I don't think he makes them anymore. I really think you need a retract valve, but follow the guide. I have replaced all three of mine. No more settling. rob 98 Serengeti 300 cat, 37' allison

To: "Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] RVA Levelers

Funny you should mention the levelers: I just had my Safari out and noticed that one of my rear levelers is retracting on its own after a day or so. Anyone have any insight? I've done some research and it seems to be a solenoid?Thanks
Mel
mjmokiej

Post by mjmokiej »

Thanks very much Fob, I have found the site and will proceed!mel;
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

Mel (mjmokiej)
Check the 3 tee-handle RVA "manual retract valves",
They sometimes get loose, (or get a speck of dirt in them), which can cause them to retract slightly over time.
Tightening them....(or opening and closing them to flush the dirt out), may fix your problem

another Mel
'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Mel
mel96safari

RVA bushings (was: RVA Levelers [1 Attachment])

Post by mel96safari »

John
That is a good question.
My bushings have been missing for 10+ years, (over 80,000 miles)

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Did he say what negative affects there might be if the bushings are not replaced???

John
6spd.

wolfe102001

Re: RVA bushings (was: RVA Levelers [1 Attachment])

Post by wolfe102001 »

I replaced the jack bushings-- not a difficult job on our RVA jacks.

1.      Replace 4 rear jack rubber bushings with polyurethane ½” ID, 1 ¼” OD, ¾” thick.
BreBrett
TD

Post by TD »

Brett,

When you replaced those bushings, did you notice any difference in performance or stability of the jacks???

John
6spd.
On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:52 PM, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I replaced the jack bushings-- not a difficult job on our RVA jacks.

1.      Replace 4 rear jack rubber bushings with polyurethane ½” ID, 1 ¼” OD, ¾” thick.

BreBrett

wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

I noticed it my first trip under the coach-- the source of the rattle I was looking for.  So no real "before experience".

But, it stands to reason that limiting the side to side "range" of the jacks would make them more stable.

Brett