Re: 99 Sahara diagnostic port

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
jeffjordan1972@gmail.com

99 Sahara diagnostic port

Post by jeffjordan1972@gmail.com »

'Hello my fellow safari owners. I recently purchased a BlueFire Bluetooth data reader for my 99 Sahara. If you’re unfamiliar with it, think of the Silverleaf VMSPC but for about half the price. My coach is equipped with a functioning VMSII but I thought it would be nice to have it all displayed on one screen in a more budget friendly package. My problem is this, I’m unable to find a 6-pin j1708 port under my dash. I have felt around, looked around and used a borescope for about an hour and haven found one. I tried plugging the device into the diagnostic port back in the chassis service bay but it does not light up like it’s getting anything. I can easily trace the wires that plug in to the back of the silverleaf vmsII to above my steering column but things get much more complicated from there. I can even read one of the wires printed with vmsII power.

Is it likely that my coach has no diagnostic port under the dash?
If I should have a port any tips for finding it? I know it’s not a small thing and isn’t easily missed with a careful search.

If I likely don’t have a port up front, how do I test the port in the chassis service bay to ensure it’s functional so I can determine if my bluefire plug is the culprit or if the diagnostic port is the problem?

Anyone else have experience with this bluefire device vs the VMSPC?

I will consider replacing the bluefire with the VMSPC but it seems I will be stuck with the same issue of no diagnostic port.

Thank you all for your thoughts, you truly are a wonderful resource.

Jeff Jordan 99’ Sahara 33’ Cat 3126 Allison trans'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Jeff,

Did you turn the key on? It needs to be on to power the port.

My 98 had a 6 pin port under the dash near the steering column and the one in the service center compartment.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 1/21/2019 10:43 AM, xfojr66pjaj62aawuzsda2a254qrwxu4wau5no34@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hello my fellow safari owners. I recently purchased a BlueFire Bluetooth data reader for my 99 Sahara. If you’re unfamiliar with it, think of the Silverleaf VMSPC but for about half the price. My coach is equipped with a functioning VMSII but I thought it
would be nice to have it all displayed on one screen in a more budget friendly package. My problem is this, I’m unable to find a 6-pin j1708 port under my dash. I have felt around, looked around and used a borescope for about an hour and haven found one. I
tried plugging the device into the diagnostic port back in the chassis service bay but it does not light up like it’s getting anything. I can easily trace the wires that plug in to the back of the silverleaf vmsII to above my steering column but things get
much more complicated from there. I can even read one of the wires printed with vmsII power.

If I should have a port any tips for finding it? I know it’s not a small thing and isn’t easily missed with a careful search.

If I likely don’t have a port up front, how do I test the port in the chassis service bay to ensure it’s functional so I can determine if my bluefire plug is the culprit or if the diagnostic port is the problem?

I will consider replacing the bluefire with the VMSPC but it seems I will be stuck with the same issue of no diagnostic port.

Jeff Jordan 99’ Sahara 33’ Cat 3126 Allison trans

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
jeffjordan1972@gmail.com

'Yes Jim, God’s question sorry I didn’t think to include that point in my post. I had my engine running when I was trying out the port in the back.'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Not familiar with your BlueFire product or with the VMSII your coach came with, as I use the VMSPC with my laptop computer.  The diagnostics port (J1708) in my Sahara was hanging down on the cable, about at the level of the bottom of the instrument panel (dash), near the steering column, as installed by the factory.  I would assume your VMSII is plugged into it in your coach.  It is a light grey in color.  I have never plugged my Silverleaf into the diagnostics port in the service bay, however I know it works, as I had Dave Atherton run diagnostics on my coach in September, and he used the service bay port.
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:51 PM xfojr66pjaj62aawuzsda2a254qrwxu4wau5no34@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hello my fellow safari owners. I recently purchased a BlueFire Bluetooth data reader for my 99 Sahara. If you’re unfamiliar with it, think of the Silverleaf VMSPC but for about half the price. My coach is equipped with a functioning VMSII but I thought it would be nice to have it all displayed on one screen in a more budget friendly package. My problem is this, I’m unable to find a 6-pin j1708 port under my dash. I have felt around, looked around and used a borescope for about an hour and haven found one. I tried plugging the device into the diagnostic port back in the chassis service bay but it does not light up like it’s getting anything. I can easily trace the wires that plug in to the back of the silverleaf vmsII to above my steering column but things get much more complicated from there. I can even read one of the wires printed with vmsII power.

Jeff Jordan 99’ Sahara 33’ Cat 3126 Allison trans
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

' Jeff,I know you're using your boroscope to look and see if you can find the plug, but have you tried to use your phone camera and take a picture of the underneath dash area?  The problem I have with my scope is that if I'm not in the exact area, I can't always see what I'm looking for - and I've discovered that using my phone or tablet camera and taking a few shots of the dash underneath reveals a lot more (and isn't breaking my back trying to look under there).  There's a possibility that your plug is wrapped up, and if you aren't looking in just the right spot you may be missing it.  If all else fails, post a few pictures of the underneath dash area and one of us might be able to see it or point you in the correct direction.  Worth a try??
Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp CatSpokane Wa
On Monday, January 21, 2019, 9:51:54 AM PST, xfojr66pjaj62aawuzsda2a254qrwxu4wau5no34@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hello my fellow safari owners. I recently purchased a BlueFire Bluetooth data reader for my 99 Sahara. If you’re unfamiliar with it, think of the Silverleaf VMSPC but for about half the price. My coach is equipped with a functioning VMSII but I thought it would be nice to have it all displayed on one screen in a more budget friendly package. My problem is this, I’m unable to find a 6-pin j1708 port under my dash. I have felt around, looked around and used a borescope for about an hour and haven found one. I tried plugging the device into the diagnostic port back in the chassis service bay but it does not light up like it’s getting anything. I can easily trace the wires that plug in to the back of the silverleaf vmsII to above my steering column but things get much more complicated from there. I can even read one of the wires printed with vmsII power.

Jeff Jordan 99’ Sahara 33’ Cat 3126 Allison trans '
jeffjordan1972@gmail.com

'I got out my multimeter to test the pins on the chassis service bay diagnostic port and found about 2.5v on pin a to ground, about 3v on pin b to ground, less than 1v on pin C to ground. According to what I found online pin C should be the power and a and b the data streams. Shouldn’t I read 12v on pin c?

Jeff 99’ Sahara Cat 3126'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Jeff,

A & B are the dato links, C is the ignition power (+12 volts) and E should be the ground.

This wiring goes through a 12 pin rectangular connector behind the panel and on into a harness. You might try cycling the plug a few times as mine was open to the road below and water splash etc. could be a problem.

Jim Exler

On 1/21/2019 3:12 PM, xfojr66pjaj62aawuzsda2a254qrwxu4wau5no34@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I got out my multimeter to test the pins on the chassis service bay diagnostic port and found about 2.5v on pin a to ground, about 3v on pin b to ground, less than 1v on pin C to ground. According to what I found online pin C should be the power and a and
b the data streams. Shouldn’t I read 12v on pin c?

Jeff 99’ Sahara Cat 3126

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
jeffjordan1972@gmail.com

'Jim,

I tried exercising that 12 pin connection and got the same results. Do you have the pin out for that connector so I could test for voltage on the correct pin on it?

Jeff ‘99 Sahara cat 3126'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safarimotorhomes\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\Safarifriends\SMC Safari Service Ctr.pdf]SMC Safari Service Ctr.pdf[/url]
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safarimotorhomes\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\Safarifriends\SMC EngHarness 3126B.pdf]SMC EngHarness 3126B.pdf[/url]

Jeff,

Attache are 2 drawings which has the info you need.

Jim X

On 1/21/2019 4:14 PM, xfojr66pjaj62aawuzsda2a254qrwxu4wau5no34@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim,

I tried exercising that 12 pin connection and got the same results. Do you have the pin out for that connector so I could test for voltage on the correct pin on it?

Jeff ‘99 Sahara cat 3126

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
jeffjordan1972@gmail.com

'Thank you Jim,

If I am reading these drawings correctly (and I’m not very good at it) the diagnostic power pin C is getting power from the water temperature gauge via pin 3 of the C53 12 pin connector. So if my chassis service bay water temp gauge is working then I should have power to pin C unless that cable is broken?

Jeff 99’ Sahara 3126 Cat'