Roof leak or condensation problem

Furnace, air conditioning, thermostats, distribution.
KenB

Roof leak or condensation problem

Post by KenB »

I have a 1995 Safari Sahara, 35 ft. I had to replace my roof about 3 years ago due to storm damage. Now....I am full time living in it. The past two rain, cold, slushy storms have resulted in a leak over my bed. When I take the cover off and the lower bracket/heating unit base off I find a steady slow drip from one of the screws that holds the base of the metal pieces of the A/C unit together. There is no leak from the seal. The rig is a little nose down and to the passenger side so that is the side that it drips from. All the metal inside is the unit, above the ceiling, is damp and cold and there is standing water on top of the metal frame and the area just above that that has the insulation, for the A/C unit, the insulation is also wet...in that area only. I believe that there is no leak at the roof seal and I believe that this is condensation and weeping on the metal that is accumulating as then nights are just at or below freezing. Question...can this be leaking from someplace else that is coming down onto this metal surface at this low side or is it most likely condensation accumulating and worse when it rains. Do I need to take off the A/C unit and check the even if there is no water at the level of the seal? If condensation then a bigger dehumidifier most likely or just turn on the accessory heating unit every morning to dry the area out. What say you all.
'95 Sahara, 35 ft, 5.9 Cummins, 6 sp Allison.
Robert K

Re: Roof leak or condensation problem

Post by Robert K »

I had a small leak problem I chased for awhile on my rear ac. I thought it might be condensation but was not. I put a new cover on the ac and problem solved. I never found a crack on top of the cover but there were some where the screws went in.
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
KenB

Post by KenB »

Thank you. I was thinking of painting the cover and sealing the screw holes. Much appreciated.
'95 Safari, 5.8 Cummins, 6 sp Allison.
KenB

Post by KenB »

Update as to this leak vs condensation. During the last rain of last week I had no leak for the first 5 hours of rain and then the drip. I finally crawled up on top and took the cover off the A/C and found water in the very front of the A/C tray just in front of the fins. This water was then seeping through the metal on metal parts and down into the coach. I sopped up the water and then discovered the crack in the A/C cover, sealed that and no leaks since. I also added sealant to the screw holes before replacing the screws. The leak was not from the gasket but from a leak in the plastic cover. Problem solved.
'95 Sahara.