Quartzsite 2021

A Safari get-together? Tell us here!
astrnmrtom

Quartzsite 2021

Post by astrnmrtom »

In light of Covid, is anyone planning to gather for Quartzsite this year? It's our first time here, and we would be interested in joining a Safari camp-together for a couple days even if it means just hanging out at a distance. We aren't big social butterflies anyway, but we through it would be fun.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Quartzsite 2021

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

astrnmrtom wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm In light of Covid, is anyone planning to gather for Quartzsite this year? It's our first time here, and we would be interested in joining a Safari camp-together for a couple days even if it means just hanging out at a distance. We aren't big social butterflies anyway, but we through it would be fun.
I'm sure many die hard RVers are, or will be, in and around Quartzsite, AZ these Winter months.
Most will welcome you to join them...(some will not).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Maybe I should have been more clear with my question. I'm, already in Quartzsite, but was wondering about the usual Safari owners get-together on Plomosa Rd in mid January. The gathering there has happened in previous years, but I haven't seen anything about it this year. We'll are at a park here until the 13th of January, then we head out to boondock. If there was going to still be the usual Safari Gathering, we'd join for a few days.
1998 Serengeti 3706
900 Watts of Solar
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

I have to ask...how is the Verizon data out there for those who work a bit and play a bit later in the afternoon/evening?
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
ccastle

Post by ccastle »

Wife and I are interested in attending with our "new to us" Safari Sahara! Can someone let us know exactly what weekend and location -- Quartzite will have lots of RV's there!!! :)
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Re: Verizon data.

We've read that data rates slow to a crawl during the show times. We've been here a week, use both Verizon and AT&T hotspots and we have noticed things slowing down during the day and early evening. Sometimes there's quite a lag before pages start to load. There are thousands of RVers crowding the few towers and with everyone liking to stream now days, I wouldn't depend on being able to do much starting the first of the year. This is our first time here so I have no personal experience as to the true data speeds at peak times. I just did a speed test at 4:30 in the afternoon and I'm getting 3m down and 4m up on a Verizon tower.
1998 Serengeti 3706
900 Watts of Solar
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Very helpful, Tom. We might take some time off there and just submit some vacation time.
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

ccastle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:55 pm Wife and I are interested in attending with our "new to us" Safari Sahara! Can someone let us know exactly what weekend and location -- Quartzite will have lots of RV's there!!! :)
Sorry for taking so long with a reply.

The Quartzsite RV show is 1/16 - 1/24 2021. https://www.quartzsitervshow.com/

This is the official date, but people have been gathering in the area for quite a while. Various vendors have been opening little by little for the last month. We've read that Safari International members are supposed to gather in two places but as of 1/10, we haven't seen a group, just a lone Safari here and there. The Trek group has placed a couple signs on Cholla Rd on the Southwest side of town, and the regular Safari group is supposed to gather on the south side of Plomosa Rd about two miles East of hwy95. Plomosa Rd is about 5 miles North of town on 95. We drove out there on the 10th but didn't see any Safaris, nor signs or flags. From what I understand, they gather from the 16th through the 20th. https://www.safari-international.org/

We have been in Quartzsite for close to a month, but will be heading out to Plomosa tomorrow, the 13th. We won't be camping at the Safari site at first, because we are having some new blinds installed on Thursday so we will pick a spot that's easy for the installer to get to. We will keep an eye on the gathering site, and will move there later in the week if we see the group forming. Our plan is to stay at least a couple days with the group, then head to the La Posa LTVA at the Southern edge of town to "hopefully" be within walking distance of the show before it closes.

It's our first time attending, and from talking to others who have done this before, there's a LOT less people here than normal. Driving around we've noticed most of the parks right in town have empty spaces although I expect this week they will start to fill up. People I've talked to say they are normally full by now.
1998 Serengeti 3706
900 Watts of Solar