Drag link repair

Pretty much everything on the bottom side of the coach: Steering, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension
billybob

Drag link repair

Post by billybob »

Hi all,

I'm have some front wheel wobble around 50 mph. New tires all around. When I bought and drove the RV home the left front brake was grabbing. Unfortunately I was running away from a hurricane and drove it like this. The only problem I can see is wear on the drag link ends.

Any idea how to source new ends or a complete drag link? I'd rather order parts than visit a store/shop. Maybe just take careful measurements and replace it with something with similar dimensions? Perhaps parts for Freightliners?

Thanks!
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
Oshkosh VC-22, Cummins 8.3 with Banks Stinger Kit
6 Speed Allison World Transmission, Leaf Springs
wolfe10

Re: Drag link repair

Post by wolfe10 »

Not sure I understand "left front brake grabbing" and how it relates to a bad drag link.

On the drag link, is there mechanical play or is it just that the boot(s) are shot?
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
billybob

Re: Drag link repair

Post by billybob »

The brake issue caused a "death wobble". I would have parked it if the hurricane wasn't on my tail. I'm guessing this caused or accelerated the wear on the drag link ball ends. It has 96k miles so hard to tell.

Anyway, I wiggled and jiggled all the steering parts I could and the only play I found was in the drag link ball ends. Looks like they are available individually and are not expensive. Just need to find the right ones. It would be terrific if I could find a cross reference to the VC-22RD Oshkosh chassis but haven't yet.
1993 Safari Ivory 3430
Oshkosh VC-22, Cummins 8.3 with Banks Stinger Kit
6 Speed Allison World Transmission, Leaf Springs