ITR HURRICANE HEATER DIAGNOSIS and REPAIR

Furnace, air conditioning, thermostats, distribution.
TDJohn

Re: ITR HURRICANE HEATER DIAGNOSIS and REPAIR

Post by TDJohn »

Bill,

Your old thermostat had a dual function of operating a/c in the summer and turning on the fan(s) in the winter to provide the heat from the boiler. So, you likely ended up eliminating that function. Without a wiring diagram it is all a guess. So, you might need to run a new 12v circuit to the fans, via the thermostat to control those fans.

Also, looking at your photo that shows your fuel filter, you have a split in the hose, where it goes onto the filter. This has to be corrected/repaired, as it will let air into the fuel system, and those Hurricane units are very sensitive to air in the fuel.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
bdub

Post by bdub »

Found this https://www.suremarineservice.com/Heat/ ... 1-3-4.html
Looks to be exact replacement for what I've got. But that one only lasted a couple of weeks.
I'll get it on the way. Hope it lasts longer than the last one.
Billy Massey
40' 1998 Serengeti, 3621b Cat 300hp
2015 Willys
Brownwood, in the Heart of Texas
bdub

Post by bdub »

TDJohn wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:33 pm Your old thermostat had a dual function of operating a/c in the summer and turning on the fan(s) in the winter to provide the heat from the boiler. So, you likely ended up eliminating that function. Without a wiring diagram it is all a guess. So, you might need to run a new 12v circuit to the fans, via the thermostat to control those fans.

Also, looking at your photo that shows your fuel filter, you have a split in the hose, where it goes onto the filter. This has to be corrected/repaired, as it will let air into the fuel system, and those Hurricane units are very sensitive to air in the fuel.
Yep, gonna be a learning experience to get those fans to work off the thermostat again. The rear ones work fine. :-)
The firebox works fine but is apt to not work for long with that split hose. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Billy Massey
2015 Willys
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I think I have posted this before but it keeps disappearing.

This is a summary of the hurricane topic from the SAFARI FRIENDS MESSAGES ONLY.

This might help those with problems with the ITR hurricane heating system. This is a summary of peoples posts over the last 20 years and I think contains a lot of expertise and valuable information.

https://safaritoonces.org/safari-friend ... e-summary/
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

This is something that you might check into. It is made by the same people that made the original March pump for the Hurricane Heater which was 5g/min
https://www.marchpump.com/pumps/series- ... cal-pumps/

BC-2CP-MD DC Brushtype Mag Drive Pump, this is 6 g/m

The phone number on the web site is 847-725-0580 and if you explain your system they can recommend a pump if they have one. I don't know if the pump I picked is applicable but it seems right to me. I intend to look into the brush-less one as well.

This might be another suggestion, but they do make quality pumps and it may be an alternative to the one that already failed.

One other thing I just remembered, the other reason why the basement heat is there is that it keeps the coach much warmer in cold weather. We had a Discovery with basket bays, and also a Jayco Designer 5th wheel. They were down right freezing cold even with the propane furnace running all the time, a large part of that was there was nothing below the floor but cold air and snow. The Safari is much more even warm heat because of the basement (and double pane windows).
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

bdub wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:04 pm
TDJohn wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:33 pm Your old thermostat had a dual function of operating a/c in the summer and turning on the fan(s) in the winter to provide the heat from the boiler. So, you likely ended up eliminating that function. Without a wiring diagram it is all a guess. So, you might need to run a new 12v circuit to the fans, via the thermostat to control those fans.

Yep, gonna be a learning experience to get those fans to work off the thermostat again. The rear ones work fine. :-)
The firebox works fine but is apt to not work for long with that split hose. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Bill,

The other very likely reason the boiler is not running long is because you circulator pump is not working so the water sitting in the boiler heats really quickly forcing the boiler to shut down.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
bdub

Post by bdub »

TDJohn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 am The other very likely reason the boiler is not running long is because you circulator pump is not working so the water sitting in the boiler heats really quickly forcing the boiler to shut down.
Yes John. I've confirmed that and am awaiting arrival of a new pump. Probably in Monday's mail.
Thanks
Billy Massey
2015 Willys
bdub

Post by bdub »

Actually, the 0809-0190-0100 looks much better to me. Still not sure about that 1/4" outlet, but gpm is gpm.
But it's ~$70 more expensive at burtprocess.com.

I'll save these here in case of future needs.

Thanks
Safaritoonces wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:55 pm This is something that you might check into. It is made by the same people that made the original March pump for the Hurricane Heater which was 5g/min
https://www.marchpump.com/pumps/series- ... cal-pumps/

BC-2CP-MD DC Brushtype Mag Drive Pump, this is 6 g/m
Billy Massey
2015 Willys
fertooos

Post by fertooos »

Hello. My post is a total off-topic. I would like to ask you. The idea of creating sites seemed attractive to me for a long time, somehow it attracted me. And finally, I began to slowly study HTML, I also plan css, php, but here I need php homework help.
Although I am doing this rather because I just like it, I began to wonder if it is now possible to earn a living on this and what are the prospects for development? Maybe there are some separate directions in the area of which it is worth developing?
Last edited by fertooos on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Billy,

Completely off-topic, but have you checked your RIDE HEIGHT-- looks low in front? That can materially affect ride and handling as well as wear on suspension components.

If you need the "how to", PM me your e-mail and I can send you Ralph Andrew's write up on this.

Brett
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-